Sat phones, Spot messenger, Emergency devices

You can still get the Delorme Inreach SE for $250 at certain places. Google is your friend. Everything I've read says Garmin's support still works for the Delorme. I picked one up a couple a weeks ago for an upcoming Arizona trip but haven't decided on which package to subscribe to.

Yup InReach all the way.
Bluetooth it to your phone for easier message sending if you want.
I pay the insurance for the sos button if I need it. It’s nice being able to let me wife or whoever know what’s going on. Check in with the weather, my pilots get the score of the game from my buddy, it’s fun stuff. We’ve come a long way from hunting in silence.

I'm glad someone brought this up, I too am looking into the Garmin InReach setup. Glad there is a lot of positive feedback on the unit and services available. Now i just gotta save up enough to make the purchase.

Inreach! One lesson learned this year was that the clip on the unit is not that great, and I ended up losing my device while elk hunting. I called the customer service in hopes that they could pin point the device for me, but aside from a "general area" I was screwed. Finally the battery died and according to their customer service, the device has not moved. I bit the bullet and re-purchased a refurbished unit from them for $150 which should show up any day now. In the meantime, I bought a cheaper SPOT device for the rest of my hunts, but quickly learned that the slightly extra per month for the InReach is well worth it. Having more than the generic, preset messages is clutch when you need to solicit help from your friends and family for help when you get one down! When I get the new unit, I will be sure to keep it attached to my pack more securely.

Has anyone besides Buschy tried the ACR Artex? If all you want is an "emergecy alrert" beacon, then subscription is not required. I just started researching them, so I'm not an expert but they do look interesting.

I bought the SPOT GEN 3 and never used it, I should list it in the classified. I was going to start using it but With the DeLorme in reach I can send personalized messages to my wife, or vice versa. I like the piece of mind I can have.

I like being able to receive messages from home. I was on an elk hunt once and my wife was able to reach me to let me know she was very sick and heading to the hospital. I also keep mine on all year dude to travelling a lot and in no cell coverage areas quite a bit. Twice now I've broken down and was able to reach my wife for her to arrange help for me. I like being able to send my own messages from the unit. A good morning or good night text or something special isn't possible with the other beacons. My wife and family appreciates it.

Anyone with experience out side of the country? Headed back to New Zealand in March and have been thinking about these for couple years now. SOS most important but texting would be sweet also.

I have the ACR ResQLink PLB. No communication or monthly fee. Just an "oh sheet" button for a solo guy. I just set a cutoff time for communication back to my wife. If I miss the cutoff time she just assumes the bear got me before I could push the button. :)

I have the ACR ResQLink PLB. No communication or monthly fee. Just an "oh sheet" button for a solo guy. I just set a cutoff time for communication back to my wife. If I miss the cutoff time she just assumes the bear got me before I could push the button. :)

The ACR is a good deal. If you push the "oh sheet" button on the ACR, you had better be in serious trouble, if not - then you'll have a different set of problems........

I originally was going to go with a PLB because I didn't want the subscription and I didn't want to text with people when I'm out in the boonies. I've found that, like John said, being able to text to get help but not oh sheet help is pretty nice and well worth the $10 or so a month. I throw my inreach in my pack whenever I go into the woods or in the car if I'm driving across the state. Don't turn it on much but if I need it I can use it. Been wondering if I can text AAA from it :)

Can anyone weigh in on Delorme vs Garmin In Reach these days? Is the Garmin worth the extra $150-200? I use my phone as a GPS with Onxmaps and am looking at something to use to communicate when there is no cell service.

The ACR is a good deal. If you push the "oh sheet" button on the ACR, you had better be in serious trouble, if not - then you'll have a different set of problems........

Yes sir, a fully self-funded helicopter ride out of the back country is just a button push away :D

Back