MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Canada Moose Hunt

nhn2a

Has anyone on here done a Canada Moose hunt and if so, can you say what outfitter you went with and if you'd recommend them? I know this site inst normally too keen on using outfitters but Canada seems like my best bet for doing a moose hunt on a budget for two people. I'm wanting to pay for my Mom to go moose hunting which is the real goal. Shes always wanted to go but shes getting up there in age and not physically able to chase Moose on a DIY hunt so would definitely require an outfitter. I know it sounds crazy that I'm taking my Mom hunting but long story short, single mom with three kids and she still managed to teach me how to hunt growing up. I wouldnt be doing it now if it wasnt for her and would like nothing more than to see her get a Moose which is something she has always wanted to do but could never afford.

I'd like to start planning a moose hunt for the 2018 season since I know most are already booked up for the 2017 season. Plus Im already taking her on a Colorado Mule Deer hunt this year for the 2017 season. That one is a DIY on public land. Not looking at a massive trophy moose, just something she can be proud of which most of the photos I've seen in the Newfoundland area would meet that goal.

Newfoundland is your best bet. We planned one two years ago for this Sept. With Ironbound check them out great outfit. I will have a good review in a few months. I came to the same conclusion on moose hunting Canada is your best bet when it comes down to the$$

I heading to BC on my 2nd moose hunt. The first was in 2015, and this sept. I'll be doing a 2 on 1 hunt with my son! I'll be hunting for the 2nd time with Stone Mountain Safari's. I'd recommend them to anyone. You may be a little late for a 2018 hunt. I met them at the Wild Sheep Show in Reno. I had a short list of outfitters to visit with and the connection with them fit my needs. I drove to there lodge and brought home my meat and antlers. IMG_1159.jpg here's my 2015 moose.

I live in Alberta and can help ya out if need be. I know a outfitter that owns a large chunk of land that we see anywhere between 10-20 bull moose /day. The terrain is rolling foothills and the moose stick out like sore thumbs. I'm not sure where you are in the US and distance could be a concern. Newfoundland would cater the east coast people better I'm thinking. This is for Shiras moose under the SCI classification and 50" plus would be within reach! I get nothing out of it except helping a friend of the family and the hunt in my opinion is world class! Ranching family with rustic cabins and exclusive hunting. tough to beat for around 12k. Here is a link to their facebook site-https://www.facebook.com/Bar-S-Outfitters-266257503547795/

Last edited:
The moose in my avatar was taken with Scoop Lake Outfitters in Northern B.C. If I can be of any help, just send me a PM

Thanks for the advise. I was hoping to keep it around the $5K range which i know can be found in Newfoundland but doesn't look like its possible on those other places you guys are recommending. I'm in NC so drive wise BC is not feasible but if I could find a good outfitter it'd be worth flying and shipping the cape and meat.

you can get a deer tag for 5k maybe in Alberta.....im guessing the logistics to Newfoundland will cost a bunch on the back end. I can't imagine what it would cost to fly a moose back. good luck with your quest.

Half of our group is driving to Newfie the others are flying. We found a service to haul our meat back on a cold truck fairly priced out of NC. From Newfie. You can def do Newfoundland less than 5

Cost for a moose hunt is strongly related to antler size. Unless your mom is bound and determined to get a B&C moose, I agree with Newfoundland. I did a moose hunt with Patey and sons in 2008. If you could shoot and walk, you got a moose. They fly you in to cabins on little lakes in a Beaver, and keep the cost down by having the guide pack out the moose. Yes, it does work. Patey is not a great salesman - "here is the hunt. Any questions?" But he delivers. And great people.

Awesome, I was starting to get discouraged. We arent looking for a B&C type hunt and the other hunts recommended that are over $10K per person are just too expensive. Newfoundland would be a heck of a drive but I did see a couple outfitters that stated they had arrangements with companies to ship moose back and could get them as close as Raleigh which is only an hour from me for roughly $150 a cooler.

Quebec moose

Dad and I went to qubec in 2008. Dad turned 60 back in the bush. We used air melancon. They have been sold reciently. I went with them because they only hunted an area (cabin and surrounding lakes) once or at most twice a year. If new owners are continuing this i would recommend them. Know that in Qubec they hunt bulls every other year. Also you get one moose per 2 hunters. You can sometimes pay more to have outfiter "make a party" with you. I would ask how many parties go into any area you hunt. With this outfit we were flown in showed how gas fridge stove and lights worked. Engine on boat at cabin was started and then we were on our own. We saw 3 moose walking back to cabin after shooting time. A few days later we heard a cow calling. We went back the next day and while fishing heard bull and cow coming around lake. We got the bull and I will post the story sometime.

Lessons. Bring a portable wench. Chainsaw with veg oil. Get the ribs off w bones. Not to start a fight but best game i have ever eatten. Bring only 8 jigs and tails 4 rapalas fishing is so easy.

I veiw doing this kind of trip as a fly in fishing trip with reasonable licence fee total cost was around 2500 per person. It would easily cost that much if lucky enough to get a tag out west. We were on our own to figure out the hunting except talking with guys that were there the week before. Too hot. Cabin was nice with fridge and stove. Only downside two people per moose. But one Moose was all we could handle or use between Dad and I.
Pieces of meat on moose are size of a roast are steakum on deer. Contact me for more details.20171211_230306.jpg

Money and logistics wise, Newfoundland is your best bet. Unless you get lucky and draw a Maine moose tag.

I agree with above post on Newfie being best bet. I’m still hoping for successful draw in Maine and New Hampshire and it hasn’t happened for 9 years. I dropped out of Wyoming draw after 3 years, I figured I would cut my losses before I got too much involved there. In the meantime, I’ve been to Newfoundland twice and successful both times. 1587CFA0-8E78-4280-B157-D007F13BFD51.jpg

Back