PEAX Equipment

Which spotting scope?

338 win mag

Looking at going with either the Leupold 10-20x40 golden ring compact or the slightly larger 15-30x50 version. The 10-20 looks really compact, which I like. But should I trade the size for the extra magnification. Is 20x enough or should I pack the extra size and weight of the 30x?

I have been using the Nikon ED50 (very similar to the Leo 5) and recent bought a 60mm Leupold because I want more magnification. My point is you will wish you had more magnification. At those sizes you won't hardly notice the size and weight difference.

Either of those are marginally better than a quality pair of binos IMO. Have you looked at bigger scopes?

A spotting scope is one of the most valuable piece of hunting equipment I have, right after my boots and binos. A few oz more is pretty insignificant when it means I'll see far more game.

I currently have a 20-56×65mm and may upgrade to 80mm at some point, but find this one to be about the perfect balance for weight and magnification.

I've had 4-5 other scopes to include a "compact" version. Nice to carry but it lacked magnification and was quite dim in the early hours. Binos where far better for spotting.

I'm a big fan of the 12-40x60 Leupold units. They have enough zoom to do the job, but are small and light enough to carry every day.

The 15-30 model is not bad by any measure, but the extra zoom and objective size of the 12-40 unit is worth the weight penalty, for me.

Kinda sounds like more power is better is a better trade off for the extra weight. Kinda my initial thought. I have an older Redfield in 15-45x60 but with the advancements in glass over the past several years in sure light gathering and clarity will be much better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back