Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Idaho 28-1 sheep

Huntin' Fool

Don't have to explain my excitement here. After reading about hunts in unit 27 and the unlimited MT areas I feel almost like a wimp. I know my area is much more accessible and success rates higher than many others.

My third sheep hunt - Drew unit 20 in '91 just after the big die off of '90-'91. Hunted 3 weeks and saw 0 sheep. In '07 drew unit 42 second period, saw nearly 100 sheep and 14 rams including a monster - should of killed a nice ram. oh well... heavy sigh.

I have a forestry degree and cruised timber in my younger years, contracted work, paid by the plot - how many miles I could hike, was a professional backpacker! My 59 year old legs aren't what they used to be but still doing well.

Have all season, should/would/could be able to find a class 4 ram to tag this time...

Any words of wisdom or specific knowledge appreciated.

Sounds like a road hunt!
Congratulations to you. Get yourself in top condition and take lots of pics. Can hardly wait for the report.

This unit includes some new territory this year not previously huntable on a 28-1 tag. I assume thats going to change the amount of pressure on the wilderness side of the unit and may even increase success rates. That should be encouarging to you.

Dont let the 27-2 elitists fool you - the east side of the Crags will test you just as intensely as the west side.

PM sent. Drew this tag a couple years ago. Nvborn ain't lying when he says the east side can test you! The new unit boundary should be a bonus.

Congrats on the draw. I saw 4 nice rams during a deer hunt there last year. They were in the Perreau Creek drainage on the east side of the unit. Just off the road straight up from the Shoupp bridge.

Good luck, lots of sheep in the unit.

Congrats on the draw. I saw 4 nice rams during a deer hunt there last year. They were in the Perreau Creek drainage on the east side of the unit. Just off the road straight up from the Shoupp bridge.

Good luck, lots of sheep in the unit.

Glad you hear you saw some mature rams in Perreau. That Salmon side does have quite a number of sheep and they have taken some nice rams historically. Unfortunately for fowlhunter that more accessible, more sheep filled country is excluded from his tag. I would speculate he wont be the first 28-1 tag holder that didnt, at least periodically, wish they had that permit instead.

nvborn, yes you are correct, after looking at the map, these rams were in 28-2. Sort of strange how they divided 28 with the stretch near the river.

Talked to Dave Melton of Bighorn Outfitters and a F&G gal that knows the herd. Dave said he thought there were more rams east of Panther Ck which is outside his area. F&G gal told me quite a bit. Sounds like I should at least check out Hot Springs, Beaver, Trail and Pine Ck drainages. I maybe wrong but it sounds like not as many have been tagged in those drainages, but there is some Indian harvest and occasional poaching.

And - the body is ready for this hunt!!!

I took these all last year. The first one is out of your area but what the heck I'm sure you'll like big ram pics that were taken close you your area. The gun is EMPTY I checked it multiple times and put the safety back on.
it was the only optic I had. The second 2 Where taken in your area off of the Panther creek road around Jureano Creek. I took them through my spotter off the hood of my pickup.
1466379170897.jpg
1478123559760.jpg
1478123572438.jpg

Getting excited yet?

Last edited:
Yes - Thanks for the pics - Older Ram looks to have decent mass - however still looks like a class 3 or am I wrong? Hard to see if the tips are pointed or broomed. F&G said sheep to Cliff Ck. Rarely in Napais.

Haven't heard. I saw a pic of a ram killed by the other the holder. If I can get a hold of him I'll tell him where. I left a message to him on his voicemail. Man I hope he gets his sheep!

20171013_173431.jpg
Talked to Fowl Hunter. He was still in good spirits. He's trying really hard to make it happen. I'm hoping he connects. I looked for sheep while deer hunting but spotted neither.
Saw this on the way out. About a mile out of his unit... figures.

[QUOTE\]
Talked to Fowl Hunter. He was still in good spirits. He's trying really hard to make it happen. I'm hoping he connects. I looked for sheep while deer hunting but spotted neither.
Saw this on the way out. About a mile out of his unit... figures.[/QUOTE]

Well, how did he do? There was only about an hour of daylight left in the season when you posted last....surely an update is available by now?

I wish I knew. I posted the day after I got home. So he still had a full day that I wasn't up there.

Thanks to everyone that helped me get to know the country. Had fun - A great hunt in awesome country. Would have been a little better with a kill but oh well... Passed on 2 different 5 or 6 year olds. Several groups of these smaller rams running around. Never saw an old ram. Hunted 22 days - did some big hikes! Body and mind did outstanding.

Glad you had a great time! Hate to hear you didn't get to pull the trigger but I can only imagine the views seen and memories made.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back