PEAX Equipment

Found a Rifle, But..

LandDiver,
Glad I could be there to help you in the all important first rifle decisions. You really couldn't make a wrong decision on which caliber to go with as each of the options you were looking at will kill elk and deer if you do your part. The 300 and 7mm mags are great rounds, but can be a bit hard on the wallet if you plan on buying all your ammo. Which reminds me that I forgot to tell you to keep all your empty brass so that you can use them again if you start reloading. Soon you will realize that you will need a .22 long rifle, so you can practice you shooting technique without breaking the bank. I'm sure your oldest son would love a new 22 lr for his next birthday.:rolleyes: Let me know when you get a scope, rings and bases for that rifle, so we will take it to the range and break it in and see what it can do.

Last edited:
I have heard nothing but great things about Bergara rifles. If you like the fit and feel of that rifle the best, then you made a wise choice picking one up in 270. Maybe they are "boring" and not the new in-style caliber but you can't go wrong with a 270, 30-06, or 308

Just what we need...another 270 fanboy!! haha just teasing. Congrats on the rifle it looks really nice.

Great choice, you will find the .270 will kill anything you want to hunt. Get ahold of Smaltz on here, he made me a great deal on a scope.

Thanks everyone! Just shot Schmalts a message and got a reply back quick! Going with the Leupold VX-3i for a scope. Can't wait!

Oh yeah...forgot to mention my wife grew up with a 270, it sold it when we were in college for tuition. When she found out I got a 270 she was so excited to play with it. I bet she'll be shooting a lot once again when baby is here.

And yes Sawtooth, I think my son did say something about a 22. I'll have to tell my wife about it ha ha!

That's a good looking rifle! I've heard good things about Bergara rifles, give us an update when you get out there shooting. Good choice too on the scope and going with schmalts.

Congrats on your rifle! Enjoy getting to know it! As you start shooting, I'd suggest picking up several different boxes of ammo in both 130 and 140 gr. You might have a preference before you start about manufacturer and bullet and weight, but your rifle will have its own preference. You will see a definite difference in group sizes with different ammo. That isn't necessarily a reflection of the quality of ammo, every rifle has its likes and dislikes.

Congrats on your rifle! Enjoy getting to know it! As you start shooting, I'd suggest picking up several different boxes of ammo in both 130 and 140 gr. You might have a preference before you start about manufacturer and bullet and weight, but your rifle will have its own preference. You will see a definite difference in group sizes with different ammo. That isn't necessarily a reflection of the quality of ammo, every rifle has its likes and dislikes.

This.....shot 3-4 diff rounds before I found what my Mountain ascent liked best. Oh, and nice looking, kill anything rifle. Great job with thread. You sought advice and had wisdom to actually use it to make a solid decision.

Thanks again everyone. I'm really excited to start practicing with it as soon as the scope comes in. I'll probably ask about bases and rings when it does ha ha! Clueless in that area as well, but I'm reading up on it.

Hope all you fathers out there have a great day tomorrow.

Those bergara timbers shoulder really nice. The Monte Carlo comb and palm swell really feel "homey".

I keep debating a bergara stalker in 280ai or Cooper in the same.

If those timbers came in 6.5-284............

Those bergara timbers shoulder really nice. The Monte Carlo comb and palm swell really feel "homey".

I keep debating a bergara stalker in 280ai or Cooper in the same.

If those timbers came in 6.5-284............

I only found out about palm swell after shooting the Sendero. It felt really secure in my hand. Then the Monte Carlo stock and raised comb was something I realized for me best when shouldering other rifles at the store. LOP was another thing I learned when one gun fit and another didn't. I'm glad I went through all of this, and listened to suggestions to do so. Through the process I have learned a lot, and probably saved me some heartache from just buying a gun and finding out all these things don't fit me right.

The Bergara Timber was the only wood stock rifle I could find in my price range that hand the palm swell. All others that had a right handed palm swell were either synthetic, or approaching the $2k mark which wasn't even a thought for me.

I am super happy about this rifle. Can't wait to go out and get it all figured out.

Don't pick up the Cooper Laminate Sporter.

That swell is money. $2,100 money. Feels great tho.

For now I plan to shoot 140g bullets with this rifle. I also need to finalize on what scope I want to put on this rifle. Looking through the Leupold VX-3i today was good because I know a lot of you like that scope, but I've never looked through one till today.

Be open to trying different bullets and weights to see what your rifle shoots best.
Of the several 270s we have among friends, only 2 of them shoot the same factory ammo well. Every other rifle has an ammo it "likes" but it's different from the others. As a result, I have 8-10 boxes of various 270 factory ammos for testing, which helps.

Enjoy the rifle!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back