Caribou Gear Tarp

Found a Rifle, But..

Man, you are making this way too hard. Talk to one the experts, Mtmuley, and take his recommendations,

My first rifle was a gift from my brother on graduation. 3x9 Redfield scope. Tack driver until stolen. Never got over it.

Point is, there are way too many rifles to choose from. Make your choice and get comfortable with it. You will be happy.

Do not mean to denigrate your choice. You have made many good choices. You will love your first rifle. Go out and shoot it!

Sorry if I am out of line, I like your attitude!

Edit: Rifle was a model 77 ruger. I loved the safety on that rifle.
Whatever choice you make, ENJOY!

Last edited:
1)It's gotta go bang every time
2)It's gotta hold zero
Pretty much everything else is preference that you can't refine for yourself until you shoot a bunch anyway. You'll lose a little money re-selling rifles, but not that much. Just go for it and get some rounds down range.

I appreciate everyone's input. Very thankful, and I am reading up on those other rifles mentioned. As far as buying and selling till I find the right one just isn't in the cards for me. This has to be my one and done, and capable of everything I have ambitions of chasing in my future.

Been reading more on the Weatherby Vanguard and it seems only synthetic stocks have that right handed palm swell which I really like. Nothing in a wood with the Monte Carlo stock from them unless I want to spend twice what I was hoping to spend.

Bergara called and said they don't off a 7 Mag in the Timber I really liked.

Thanks again everyone.

Then get the Timber in 30-06 or 270. You nor the game will be able to tell the difference.

Out to 400 yards you aren't going to realize much difference between the 3 calibers. All retain enough energy to be completely reliable on elk. I'd pick the rifle that feels best for you even if it doesn't come in the caliber of your preference. Confidence in your weapon is going to be much more important than the potential of a caliber.

Out to 400 yards you aren't going to realize much difference between the 3 calibers. All retain enough energy to be completely reliable on elk. I'd pick the rifle that feels best for you even if it doesn't come in the caliber of your preference. Confidence in your weapon is going to be much more important than the potential of a caliber.

you wont get better advice

The 30-06 would be my choice...a 30-06 with a 165gr Triple shock would be a killer round. I'm trying to convince my buddy to do the same right now...I'm currently holding it hostage and won't return it until he decides to quit using light jacketed bullets in it.

I'd listen to Gerald and 1_pointer and get the Timber in your second place caliber and go from there. The ballistic advantage of a 7mm bullet won't be noticed until you start shooting beyond your hunting comfort levels.

Last edited:
Gerald, thanks for posting the gundata links, great tool. Clearly shows the extremely similar bullet drop of the 160 bonded in 7 RM and 140 bonded in 270 Win. I shoot both and only have to remember one set of #s.

I agree. The fit and feel mean a lot. You found that. Now decide on caliber.

As stated a bunch in this thread go with the 30-06 or 270win. Both will be plenty of gun for your intended game and recoil won't be an issue. Plenty of factory ammo choices.
The Bergara are gaining a lot of popularity and most are great shooting rifles.

He was looking for a rifle with a wood stock and all the Tikka's in his price range were with plastic stocks.

I missed that part, thanks! I have not missed a shot yet with my .270 from 75 yards to 420yds on pigs and two mule deer in the 2 years I have had it (Tikka for me). Ammo is everywhere and it and the 30-06 have filled many freezers for a LOOOONG time...

Hey Sawtooth,
Just wanted to say thank you again for for being the person you are, and helping a complete stranger out with all of this. Allowing me shoot your rifles today was a big help in choosing what caliber I was going to go with. Your patience and knowledge/experience with these calipers was amazing, and it was cool to learn some history and some big names along with their approach to hunting as they did. As soon as I shot that 308, all thoughts of the 7mm Rem Mag left my head with that bullet ha ha. I know the 270 didn't fit me well, but it still helped me in the final decision. So thank you very much. I really, really appreciated you reaching out to help.

I know it seems that I may have been a little to particular on getting that "perfect" rifle, but finding the one that fit my body was very important to me. Hence the reason for this thread, and shouldering many different rifles. After watching others put a rifle up, it's clear to me that I can't shoulder it like most of you can. So that extra adjustment and feel of it was big for me.

I went with a Bergara B-14 Timber chambered in 270 Winchester. Listening to Sawtooth and what he had to say about all the different loads in different calibers to game, and remembering what was said throughout this thread made the 270 pull ahead in the end. For now I plan to shoot 140g bullets with this rifle. I also need to finalize on what scope I want to put on this rifle. Looking through the Leupold VX-3i today was good because I know a lot of you like that scope, but I've never looked through one till today.

So once again big thanks to you Sawtooth for today. I would still be hung up on this finding a rifle deal if I haven't shot your rifles today. Thanks to everyone who helped with their advice and experience as well.

Sawtooth saw how big the smile on my face was, and the excitement I had as we walked out of Sportsman's with MY first rifle! Ha ha!

Take it easy everyone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 276
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 275
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 277
  • image.jpg