Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Found a Rifle, But..

I have owned a 7mag and currently own a .300 Win mag. I rarely shoot/shot either. For most hunting the 7-08, 30-06, or similar will handle all my needs with less recoil and noise. I have seen my dad kill an Antelope at 550+ yards with a .25-06, so know for a fact that you don't really need a cannon to down game even at longer ranges. I have been shooting a 6.5x55 for the last 10 or so years and have not found myself wanting. I personally do not miss the magnums, and while I thought the 7 mag would be my do everything gun when I had it built, I came to the conclusion that I was better off with a smaller caliber that I could shoot well.

LandDiver,
Are you planning on reloading or are you going to buy all your ammo for this rifle. Which ever rifle you choose in whatever caliber, you will want to practice with it and ammo can get expensive. Something to consider when deciding on which caliber to purchase.

To start I will be buying stuff off the shelf. The rifles I shot this past weekend was a couple of rifles from a custom long range builder. It was his old rifles. He said he could do $2/bullet for a custom load. Eventually I'd like to get into that as I plan to keep this rifle as my one and done type of deal. The initial cost of a rifle and scope will put getting the reloading stuff off for a bit, unless I can find used stuff. But even then I can't just jump on something without having a clue of what's what in the reloading world. So it'll be a lot more reading for me. I just put the kids to bed so I'm reading up on the different caliber's this gun is offered in. At first I was set on a 7mm-08, but after shooting the 7mm Rem Mag I liked it. Even the 300 Win Mag was okay. I'll be up all night reading and thinking lol. I'm trying to talk myself into a 6.5 Creedmore, 270, or 308. But shooting at targets at long range was pretty fun.

a sales guy that shunned away remington? I would find a different sales guy. The remington 700 is a fine rifle at a fine price point.

4 sales guys actually. We had 4 rifles on the table, then I told them take the Tika out. What was left was the Rmeington 700 CDL, Winchester Model 70, and the Bergara B-14. The other 3 guys came one by one when asked and immidiately said no to the Remington, and said either of the other 2. I would get one if it fit me right, but just ddn't feel as good as the Bergara did to me.

Savage long range hunter.. or go with the .300 and put the muzzle brake on it..make sure you got ear plugs..

I have the Walker's Razor Slim. Used them this past weekend and was pretty amazed at how you can still hear conversation, even cows mooing when I couldn't even see them anywhere lol. But when the rifle went off it wasn't any louder. I'm going to read up tonight, like I have been doing and see if I can convince myself to get something other then the 300 Win Mag.

If you need one more piece of advice to chew on, I'd pick that Bergara in 30-06. If you are only shooting out to 400 yards it will do everything you would want to accomplish with a 7mag with less recoil.

Landdiver,
If you want to shoot a .308 or .270 win., next time you are in Boise you can shoot mine. The 308 is a Tikka and the 270 is a Vanguard with a McMillan Monte Carlo stock. I could meet you out at Blacks Creek range if you let me know when you will be in the area.

Last edited:
Landdiver,
If you want to shoot a .308 or .270 win., next time you are in Boise you can shoot mine. The 308 is a Tikka and the 270 is a Vanguard with a McMillan Monte Carlo stock. I could meet you out at Blacks Creek range if you let me know when you will be in the area.

Sawtooth that would great! I would appreciate it that a lot. My wife doesn't work weekends so I won't have to worry about kids. Also anytime during the week from 10-1 will work as well. I think Sportsman's is having their Father's Day sale so I'd like to catch it before it's over.

I'll message you.

Sounds like you need a good .30-06. mtmuley

This^.

If a "lighter" load is 180 grains, then the 30-06 may very well be the best choice. You can finds rounds from as little 110 grains, all the way up to 220. The latter would be good application for every game animal the OP mentioned.

I own two 30-0's (Browning and Savage). I can sit down at a bench and go through box after box of ammo and never feel like I'm getting my ass kicked regardless of the weight of the rounds I'm using.

I would change my gun before I'd change my caliber. I love 7 mm mag, and there are way to many quality rifle choices out there now.

I had a Remington long range in 7mmag, it was a shooter. With my vortex 4-16x44 hst, it was right under 11 lbs. heavy rig.

If the Bergara fits you well, I'd go with it. I've read way more good than bad in the reviews of them. I'd also suggest the 308, 270, or 30-06 in that order for a first rifle, regardless of what make and model you choose. Ammo is cheaper and recoil less than the magnum offerings. This will equal more practice. Any of those 3 chamberings are more than adequate out to 400yds.

There are a lot of manufactures that offer incentives to sporting good store employees to sell so many of their products. You sell x amount of that product and you get a free one. I once asked a guy in Scheels about their branded binos. He didn't even answer my questions about them. He just went straight to Vortex. We all know they make a good product, but I wanted to get more info on the Scheels. I could find info on the Vortex online. After having the experience of salesman do that over and over(looking at a $100 pair and they go "here's a $400 pair of Vortex), I asked the first salesman to not do that. He told me that Vortex used to have a deal where you got a free pair for every so many you sold. He didn't know if they still did because Cabelas didn't allow their employees to participate anymore. So long story short, maybe Remmington offers no incentives to those guys selling the rifles and the other guys do. I've also noticed that gun salesman at box stores tend to regurgitate things they've read online when they don't have any personal experience with the gun. So I would take that into consideration when these guys here are saying yes and the store guys are saying no.

Fondle the B-14 again....7.1 lb, bedded pillars, reasonable msrp, good looking western walnut stock, great barrel, and the caliber you want.

I used to think I had to have a monte carlo but own only straight combs now.

Yeah it's funny that there is currently all this "bad mouthing" going on about Remington. Maybe something to do with the recent trigger recall I don't know. I too experienced it at several stores recently. All I can say is that my wife bought a brand new 700 a year or two ago and it's the most accurate rifle we own...hands down.

Yeah it's funny that there is currently all this "bad mouthing" going on about Remington. Maybe something to do with the recent trigger recall I don't know. I too experienced it at several stores recently. All I can say is that my wife bought a brand new 700 a year or two ago and it's the most accurate rifle we own...hands down.

...bone stock...or tinkered$$?

I thought the "bad" Remington's were the 770's?? I wanted a Remington BDL 7mm, but found a Savage with the Accutrigger at a good price from a local shop and absolutely love it. It fits well on my shoulder, the trigger is nice and crisp, and is just a good shooting gun.

...bone stock...or tinkered$$?

Stock rifle, 700 SPS in .223. All of our current rifles are stock. It has the adjustable Remington trigger (xmark or whatever they call it) which is decent, but I do like the accutrigger better.

That being said when I say Remington I'm talking Model 700 (or 7). I would not purchase a 770 or 783 or anything from their budget line.

Last edited:
Stock rifle, 700 SPS in .223. All of our current rifles are stock. It has the adjustable Remington trigger (xmark or whatever they call it) which is decent, but I do like the accutrigger better.

That being said when I say Remington I'm talking Model 700 (or 7). I would not purchase a 770 or 783 or anything from their budget line.

I have a couple Long Action 700's....good rifles, one I purchased tricked and the other homebrewed. I've always wanted a CDL but the timing hasn't been fortuitous yet. Also built another around a 700 Short Action.

I'm not implying they all need werks.

Take your pick. .277 in=7.036 mm, .284 in=7.21 mm. The .270 is the closest to being a true "seven mm" cartridge. GJ

When I was in the market for a new gun I too wanted a 7 mag. After I got to looking at guns, I decided on a 7mm08 instead. I like the short action,lighter gun,and a lot cheaper to reload and/or buy ammo for. And a dead animal really doesn't care about the loss of 200 feet per second. If you like the Bergara consider the .308. It will kill anything you want to hunt.

You might take a peak at a Ruger #1B single-shot in 30-06, 7mm , or 300 mag. They are straight stocked but sure feel good and shoot good for me. They area a little heavier, but I really like the single-shot and have never felt handicapped using one. I own two Ruger #1's.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back