Found a Rifle, But..

LandDiver

Well made it out to Sportsman's this morning with the intention on getting either of the 2 rifles I had in mind. Those being the Winchester Model 70 and Weatherby Vanguard Sporter, both in a 7mm Rem Mag. Gentlemen at the counter was outstanding and very helpful. Straight up told him I don't know anything about rifles, but recently shot a couple and have an idea of what I'm looking for. They immidiately shunned me away from any Remington. Stating something along the lines of since they've been bought out quality control has gone down hill. Which I remember reading about through my research somewhere. So I shouldered the Vanguard first. It had the Monte Carlo stock and felt pretty good to me. Then the Model 70 was next. The model 70 wasn't as I was hoping it would be in terms of how it would feel. So he took down a different rifle, one I've never came across by a company by the name of Bergara. The exact model was the B-14 Timber. Has a Monte Carlo walnut stock, the grip had that swollen palm which liked from the Sendero, and had some nice checkering. Shouldered it and almost instantly knew that was the rifle for me. So after over an hour of trying rifles and talking about them I made my decision that this was for me. Well after he looked in the back, and checked other stores for a 7mm Rem Mag with no luck he took to the computer. Come to find out they don't even make a 7mm Rem Mag! I almost cried on the spot! LOL! I was pretty sad honestly. In the B-14 Timber they only make a 300 Win Mag, 30-06, 270, 243, 308, and 6.5 Creedmore. So now I'm back to to drawing board. Almost contemplating getting it in a 300 Win Mag and shooting with lighter bullets. I just don't know. I might go back and try the Vangaurd again...

So for the sake of learning more, would it be a bad idea to jump into a 300 Win Mag with lighter loads?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,734
Last edited:
Don't be scared of Remingtons. Look at the CDL Stainless Fluted. Gorgeous, and a shooter too. mtmuley

Last edited:
Don't be scared of Remingtons. Look at the CDL Stainless Fluted. Gorgeous, and a shooter too. mtmuley

That was one of the rifles I shot the other day. It was. CDL SF 50th anniversary 7 Mag. I just couldn't get comfortable with that gun. I don't know if the scope was mounted to low, or its dimensions just didn't fit me, but I found myself moving around a lot with that gun. The Sendero felt good, and was pretty easy to get set in. He did say the Sendero is one step below Remington's custom guns though.

I'd find a locally owned shop or a different sales guy, the Begara does come in 7 RM and I'd agree with mtmuley above.

http://www.bergararifles.com/en/rifles/detalle-rifle.php?rifle=B14+TIMBER

I've seen that one as well, and asked them about it but they said they don't make it. Even here it's not listed: http://bergarausa.com/bergara_b-14_series_timber_rifle.php

I did email them and asked about it though.

They do have a 7mm Rem Mag in another B-14 called the Woodsman, nuts it's a straight stock instead of Monte Carlo.

Last edited:
I agree with mtmuley! Here is the other thing to keep in mind. I have never shot a Bergara but have read good things about them. I own both 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag. I cannot tell a big difference in recoil. That being said a friend of mine has a wood stocked 30-06 (I will not mention the major manufacturers name to save agreements) that will flat hammer your shoulder! You would swear it was a .338 magnum! Guess what I am saying is see if you can find one to shoot before spending your money for something that might not work for you.

I wouldn't be scared of the 700 American Wilderness Rifle either. Or the Long Range, although it is a bit heavy for a carry rifle. mtmuley

Don't be scared of Remington but keep in mind that a Sendero, while nice, is a heavy gun. Not something you're going to want to hike around with. #2 Don't be afraid of calibers other than 7mm mag. 30-06, 308, 270, or 300 win mag will all do the job on virtually any big game. If you like the gun that much then I would get it in another caliber (if they don't make it). Don't go buying some rifle that you don't like as much just because it comes in 7mm.

LandDiver,

What are you looking to do with the rifle? What do you want to hunt, and at what ranges?

Strictly filling the freezer. Deer, elk, bear for sure. My mother in law has land in eastern Oregon that I'd like to practice with some coyotes on. Filling the freezer I want to stay under 400 yards. But this past weekend shooting at a target at 500 yards was pretty fun. I'd like to do more target practice down the road for sure.

Thanks.

I agree with mtmuley! Here is the other thing to keep in mind. I have never shot a Bergara but have read good things about them. I own both 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag. I cannot tell a big difference in recoil. That being said a friend of mine has a wood stocked 30-06 (I will not mention the major manufacturers name to save agreements) that will flat hammer your shoulder! You would swear it was a .338 magnum! Guess what I am saying is see if you can find one to shoot before spending your money for something that might not work for you.

I understand what your saying. We move every 3-4 years so to get to know somebody to be able to know hat kind of rifles they have and actually shoot it doesn't come often or even at all in my case. This past weekend when I shot the 7 Rem Mag and the 300 Win Mag was because I saw a local add for them, and the seller wanted me to shoot it. Because he saw me struggling with the 7mm Rem Mag he didn't sell it to me which is great. He builds custom long range rifles so he said he would help me not necessarily build a long range rifle, but help me find one that fits, and get it shooting as good as it can. I do however plan on putting a LimbSaver recoil pad and a Witt Machine muzzle break on the rifle I get.

Thanks.

I wouldn't be scared of the 700 American Wilderness Rifle either. Or the Long Range, although it is a bit heavy for a carry rifle. mtmuley

Yeah that's what kind of shy'd me away from the Sendero. Stock it 8.5lbs already. Maybe if I knew some flat parts in Idaho lol!

Thanks.

Don't be scared of Remington but keep in mind that a Sendero, while nice, is a heavy gun. Not something you're going to want to hike around with. #2 Don't be afraid of calibers other than 7mm mag. 30-06, 308, 270, or 300 win mag will all do the job on virtually any big game. If you like the gun that much then I would get it in another caliber (if they don't make it). Don't go buying some rifle that you don't like as much just because it comes in 7mm.

Yeah I'm slowly understanding ounces matter when your playing in the mountains ha ha. Yeah your right about that to. I really liked how it felt. It was almost an automatic, "this is the one" kind of deal. It's kind of why I contemplating a 300 Win Mag instead with lighter load bullets. Maybe in the 180g range. When I shot the Sendero 300 Win Mag it was hand loaded 212g bullets. Although it wasn't as bad as I had built it up in my mind, I don't know if I could spend the time required to figure out all what's needed to get everything lined out and ready. When I put the kids to bed tonight I'll read up on what maybe would come the closest to a 7mm Rem Mag.

Thanks.

You could get the 270 and not know the difference between that and a 7mm for a long time

This. I have the cdl non fluted barrel, I have a few more expensive rifles in the safe and it is my go to time after time. All of my buddies that have used it have fallen in love with it. Just my two cents

This. I have the cdl non fluted barrel, I have a few more expensive rifles in the safe and it is my go to time after time. All of my buddies that have used it have fallen in love with it. Just my two cents

I thought you were interested in the Winchester extreme weather 7mm?

Both rifles didn't feel good to me. Which is a bummer because there are some good deals on some right now. I like how the Monte Carlo stock feels. The CDL SF I shot this past weekend I had a hard time getting comfortable with it, and the Model 70 just wasn't enough for me or I would have got it today for sure.

LandDiver,
Are you planning on reloading or are you going to buy all your ammo for this rifle. Which ever rifle you choose in whatever caliber, you will want to practice with it and ammo can get expensive. Something to consider when deciding on which caliber to purchase.

Savage long range hunter.. or go with the .300 and put the muzzle brake on it..make sure you got ear plugs..and for what it's worth I just put together a Remington long range hunter for my daughter that shoots well under 1" moa.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back