Caribou Gear Tarp

Fish transport from Alaska

pointingdogsrule

I have a trip to POW island in mid July. Hope to bring back some fish. I will pack light on the way up..... is it best to buy a cooler there or take a cooler up. I would have to pay for baggage on the way up, $40.00. Any other options for those of you who have been there. NOTE: I will be going on my own and staying with a friend (no guide) so I will have to pack the fish myself.

Thanks in advance

good luck to all
the dog

I would bet that any of the fishing outfitters would sell you some of the boxes they use. We brought back 2 50# boxes of frozen halibut filets pulled them out of the freezer the morning we left Homer, drove to Anchorage, flew to Seattle, spent the night on a hotel with the boxes in the room with us, then flew to Atlanta the next am, and then a three hour drive home. 36ish hours later and everything still frozen solid. They used a cardboard box with a styrofome cooler inside. $25 per box to bring on the flight as checked bags. Caveat, 2 passengers with one free checked bag and one fish box each. I think more bags would've been $75 each.

I just came home from POW with bear and halibut, vacuum sealed and frozen. I put all those packages in my down sleeping bag and then inside of a large dry bag. Maxed it out to 50 # and then spread the remainder of the halibut amongst the other checked bags and even the carry on bags. Didn't spend money on boxes and a down bag with dry bag is much lighter and compact than an ice chest. It all arrived home frozen solid still.

You should be able to find a wax fish box or an insulated Styrofoam cardboard box on the island or on Kech. They're about $15 anf hold 50-60 lbs of frozen meat. Make sure it's frozen solid and you should be good to go. I ship fish in the insulated boxes and even 3 days later they're still frozen when they arrive.

^^^
Only problem is I have a garage full of insulated cardboard boxes I cannot bring myself to throw out.

this was all great info! i was under the impression that bringing a pile of fish home would be a couple hundred $$$. hopefully i get to put this to use on my own trip in the future.

When we went we were able to check 2 bags without paying, so we took up an empty cooler as one of out bags. Filled it up w/frozen fish,packed some newspaper on top and brought it home as a checked bag with no fees. Worked really well.

this was all great info! i was under the impression that bringing a pile of fish home would be a couple hundred $$$. hopefully i get to put this to use on my own trip in the future.

I think its $50 per extra bag. Check the airline though. They all seem to find a way to soak you for something.

You could always just buy your fish at the store. last time I was down south, halibut was $25/lb and salmon was about $15/lb.

I think its $50 per extra bag. Check the airline though. They all seem to find a way to soak you for something.

You could always just buy your fish at the store. last time I was down south, halibut was $25/lb and salmon was about $15/lb.

I know, however, the thought of eating your own fish makes me smile :)

good luck to all
the dog

Take a cooler with you - just use it as your luggage and be sure to pack some sort of soft sided duffel to bring your clothes/gear home with you.

Back