Backpack Hunt

River Wolf

Quick hello- I am new to this forum and I have been reading quite a bit on here; so far a lot of you have given me many new ideas and info so a general thank you to all who contribute to the conversations here.

I am from Illinois and after scouring the state for a halfway decent adventure to my liking I have decided to head on to the western parts. I am looking for a location where I can go on a 5-7 day survival trip. I will have emergency food, but I want to primarily fish, with a spinning rod, and hunt small game, with a bow (squirrel, rabbit, grouse, etc. etc. and the like.) That is basically it, I would hike mainly as I go out to hunt for food and fish, build my fires, and enjoy the peace. I plan on having a few people with me but this is also something that I would like to do solo. Please let me know of any locations where this is possible, I've looked so hard but there is so much information out there and I only have so much time, I could use someone's expertise. Thank you, your help and input is greatly appreciated.

River Wolf

Last edited:
Thats a very subjective question. To me, the places I plan to visit have some sort of meaning, or piqued intrestest. Maybe it was a hunting magazine article I read as a kid, or maybe its a place I saw in a movie, or something like that. I try to make all my hunting trips an adventure, so I am always looking for places that are rugged, remote, and beautiful! Step one is being VERY HONEST with yourself. How good a' shape are you in, how much do really know about camping and survival, etc. The answer to these questions should really help eliminate certain places. There are so many different places in the continental US to find adventure, that you could spend a lifetime and not do them all. Here is a list of some that I've done or are planning on doing:

canoe trip in the Missouri Breaks
Cabinet Mountain Wilderness in NW Montana
Sonora Desert
Kaibab Peninsula - North Rim Grand Canyon
Bob Marshall Wilderness
Frank Church Wilderness
The San Juans
Any of the high altitude wilderness areas in Colorado
Boundary Waters canoe trip
Cohutta wilderness (think Burt Reynolds, Deliverance LOL )
Brooks Range Alaska

Really, the choices are endless. Pick one that is reasonably within your capabilities and go for it. Then, pick another and go for it..

Wow thank you for taking the time, and I really like your response. That's amazing for you to have done/doing those trips. I'm definitely nervous in the desert and not ready for Alaska but I see some I can definitely knock out on here. And I look for the same things in terms of settings it'st been hard for me to find places where people give a straight answer to what is and what's not allowed there. Thanks, Titan, and I wish you luck on your Deliverence venture hahaha.

How much experience do you have in the wilderness of the mountain west?

I would not recommend a solo survival type trip for your first excursion in the high country. But you should certainly go and experience the mountain west . I would just highly recommend taking a friend and some supplies the first time if you don't have much backcountry experience.

I'd second the motion to stay local and try for a few days on your own first.

Once you're confident in your skills, virtually any national forest out west could offer you this experience.

Hi Gut Shot, thank you for the suggestion, I did some research into Isle Royale, what a beautiful place. I was thinking of having a trip in Clear Springs Wilderness Area within Shawnee but from what laws are written and discussed it alludes to a wishy washy unclear guidelines for hunting for your food. Being that I simply want a survival trip I was unclear if it would suffice. But people have been telling me the contrary. I appreciate your feedback.

The only experience I have out west for survival is Iowa camping. But that is not very West. I definitely don't want to do a solo for a while until I build up more experience and understanding. Being from Illinois I've never had to deal with predators, which is what makes me weary of a lack of preparation. I will take yours and Gut Shot's advice and try local a few times until I build more know how to handle the west. I really appreciate you taking the time to help you've given me much to think about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back