MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Too much gun

Millsworks

I keep getting ask what rifle I hunt with. When I say I shoot a 300 Winchester Magnum for most of my hunting and definitely plan on using it this fall on an elk / mule deer/ antelope/ wolf/ what ever I can get tags for basically, many say it's more gun than needed.
Even when just talking elk, I had some think I'm silly.

I shoot this rifle very well and believe a reloader can match the load to the game. Besides ,if shooting longer distances a magnum will give a little extra performance.

Not that it will change my choice, but I thought I would ask anyway. What do any of you guys think?

If it's working for you why would you change it? Keep using what works and is comfortable for you. Everyone is different so somebody telling someone else what they are capable of shooting is silly.

I wouldn't say its too much gun. You can't kill the animal too dead....

If it's working for you why would you change it? Keep using what works and is comfortable for you. Everyone is different so somebody telling someone else what they are capable of shooting is silly.

^^^This^^^
Do you need a 300 mag to ethically kill an elk? No. But it is an excellent choice for taking any of the game you have mentioned in your post.

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks when it comes down to it. If you like the rifle, are confident in it, and shoot it well, that's all that matters. Yes, people will tell you you're overgunned, but it's your hunt and your tags and your preference in what gun you use. There are many people who advocate smaller rifle calibers and sometimes it seems like there's some sort of contest to see what the smallest caliber you can shoot an elk with, but hell, I believe in being as gunned as possible. My main rifle is a 30-06, but I always take my .300 wm with me as a backup for if it's a windy day or if it looks like my area would require a bit longer shot. Just like archery...I don't NEED to shoot a 74# draw bow, but I shoot it well and I know I can take a longer shot if I want to and still have the KE to do the job. The first and only consideration should be what you want.

Much of the rhetoric is in favor of smaller calibers because more shooters can shoot smaller cartridges better. However, none would argue that using a little more is bad.

It seems many writers and hunters are endorsing the small high velocity, heavy, high BC cartridges over the Elmer Keith large frontal area magnumitis. Its just a fad.

I do hunt with a Rem 260 for whitetail most often in the deer woods. But use the 300 when I hunt wide open spots.

Watching em drop on the spot at 500 yrds. will never get old.

I say shoot what you want and are comfortable with. You are the one behind the trigger and know what you are capable of and comfortable with.

Shoot what your comfortable with. Opinions and views are a dime a dozen on every different scenario. I myself, am fond of the 257 Weatherby, with a premium bullet I have no doubt it will ethically bring down the game I am after. That being said, I guarantee that someone on here will disagree that I would be under gunned pursuing elk, but like stated above as long as the result is a dead animal thats the name of the game.

Its not too much gun for any of these. I have a 300Wm and its been used 8 or 9 elk, couple mule deer, couple bears. I use something else for antelope personally. I have seen several big bull elk shot with 300wm, 300 weatherby and 338wm and go 1/2 mile with a broken shoulder or like mine that I blew out both lungs and heart and ran for 300 yrds. Big bulls are very tough, especially in the rut. I have also seen them die with a .243. I shot a couple with my 270 WSM that never went 10 feet.

Not too much gun. If you shoot it well use it. I am actually stepped up in power last year. I like really, really dead.

I Shoot the same thing with a 210 berger. Shoot one gun and one load, I don't feel over gunned for prarie dogs or under gunned for anything else in north America.

I have friends that ask me all the time what gun they should bring along. I Never have to think about it!

Let me guess, they also believe that 6.5 CM was a gift directly from God, and the .300WM is going to ruin your shoulder? Am I right?:)

I'm not a believer in the recent "lightest rifle possible in a pea shooter cartridge" fad. I like big, fast bullets. Keep shooting that .300. mtmuley

I shoot the 300 win and 300 RUM and love them both! I use them both for Elk, Bear, and Mule deer. So I say great choice!!!!

You can't kill them to dead! I think a 300 Win Mag is a very versatile cartridge. People get to caught up in what is to big or to small. It also doesn't make sense when they say a .30 cal Mag is too much gun for deer or antelope and recommend a non magnum.30 cal. It is the same bullet people! If someone is hand loading they can make their .300 Ultra Mag shoulder buster shoot as mild as a .308 but you can't make you .308 shoot in the magnum realm.
If someone can shoot a big magnum gun accurately then by all means use it. I like to buy guns so I am always looking for an excuse to buy a new gun even though my 30-06 covers every animal in North America.

I like the big 30 variants almost as much as the big 28's....powder vendors need to eat too.

Back