Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

The verdict is in on Zinke

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfb99

Zinke has recommended that National Monument be "scaled back"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/06/12/interior-secretary-recommends-delaying-a-final-decision-on-changing-bears-ears-national-monument/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_bears-ears-330pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

We all have our opinions, mine is that Zinke is not going to be protecting OUR Public Lands.

Zinke is proving that he is a lacky for the current administration. If his future actions prove me wrong, I will be happy to eat crow.

Zinke and this administration are about one thing - Money. Money in the form of Big Oil, Mining, Special Interest groups, State Senators. These guys don't give a hoot for our needs and values as hunters and sportsmen/women.

I encourage a strong fight back, call your representatives. Give to organizations like BHA and conservation groups.

If we don't fight, we will be faced with roll back on OUR National Monuments, Do we want to face chainlink fences with Halliburton, Peabody Energy, or Cameco signs telling us to keep out? Do we want more Tejon Ranches that only allow the rich to hunt for $3,000 a pop?

Don't give guys like Zinke an inch, he will take a mile.....

Cheers,

Mark

Zinke is an ass and I always knew he was, so I'm not surprised, are you?

Zinke has recommended that National Monument be "scaled back"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/06/12/interior-secretary-recommends-delaying-a-final-decision-on-changing-bears-ears-national-monument/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_bears-ears-330pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

We all have our opinions, mine is that Zinke is not going to be protecting OUR Public Lands.

Zinke is proving that he is a lacky for the current administration. If his future actions prove me wrong, I will be happy to eat crow.

Zinke and this administration are about one thing - Money. Money in the form of Big Oil, Mining, Special Interest groups, State Senators. These guys don't give a hoot for our needs and values as hunters and sportsmen/women.

I encourage a strong fight back, call your representatives. Give to organizations like BHA and conservation groups.

If we don't fight, we will be faced with roll back on OUR National Monuments, Do we want to face chainlink fences with Halliburton, Peabody Energy, or Cameco signs telling us to keep out? Do we want more Tejon Ranches that only allow the rich to hunt for $3,000 a pop?

Don't give guys like Zinke an inch, he will take a mile.....

Cheers,

Mark

Funny, I see lots of posts about guys spending WAY more than that here when they apply for several western states
How much does it cost to rent a helicopter again?

And privatize campgrounds: http://utahpolicy.com/index.php/fea...sts-privatizing-campgrounds-in-national-parks

For a man who claimed to be a die-hard fan of Theodore Roosevelt, he's sure pissing on TR's legacy.

Excellent solution to privatize. These folks have been around for decades managing services for the NPS. Ever heard of them?
https://www.xanterra.com/who-we-are/

Right decision to send back to Congress for legislative process.
Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke has recommended President Trump “revise the existing boundaries” of the Bears Ears National Historic Monument and call on Congress to dictate the terms of how parts of the area should be managed.

Congress does not "legislate" or in any way dictate terms of National Monuments. There is no sending back to Congress.

The process of designation of a National Monument is done by the Executive branch of the government and follows the current rigorous legal process.

The only way Congress would get involved is if new legislation (a bill) is passed through all branches of government that would change the already established National Monument designation process. Currently, there are 28 (All Republican) Senators who are trying to do just that.

What Zinke and the current administration want to do is role back ALL National Monument designations. This is not just about Bears Ears. If they go down this unprecedented path of reversing National Monument designations, no National Monument is safe from irreversible environmental harm.

Wake up folks, these guys are not the friends of Public Land hunters, they are the friends of big Oil, Gas, Coal and mineral mining.

One thing you just have to understand, these companies (The Money) are driven by one thing - earnings per share. They have no benevolent side to them and neither do the congressional and cabinet members that want to steal our Public Lands.

Every time a Public Lands hunter "carries water" for these guys is one less to carry water in the fight for Public Lands.

Cheers,

Mark

Not one so called privatize the gubberment & save $ plan has worked that I have seen.
Everyone of these farmed out campgrounds is run poorly now & with same or more cost to the US public.
Another middleman con job for profit & no real savings for public.
How many decent paying jobs lost so a handful can make a buck & sit on their ass.

Excellent solution to privatize. These folks have been around for decades managing services for the NPS. Ever heard of them?
https://www.xanterra.com/who-we-are/
Xanterra provides upscale goods, services, and accommodations in National Parks to satisfy a market demand much different from the demand at National Forest Campgrounds. If you desire to purchase ice cream, rubber tomahawks, and upscale services and accommodations when you "camp" in the forest ... then Xanterra would really work for you. As more of a traditionalist when it comes to camping, I don't support commercialization of USFS or BLM campgrounds.

When a decision wasn't made immediately, I figured that some sort of "compromise" was going to be reached. I really worry about the precedent this will send.

Couple <edited: a few extra> examples of Presidential reductions of National Monuments

17 April. President Howard Taft eliminated 160 acres from the monument by Proclamation No. 1191 [37 Stat. 1737] to relieve homesteader Robert E. Voorhies of legal entanglements caused by the original proclamation (Ingham 1955, 10).

11 May. President Woodrow Wilson reduced the size of Mount Olympus National Monument by approximately one-half [Proclamation No. 1293, 39 Stat. 1726]. With the advent of World War I some argued that there was an urgent need for timber supplies, including spruce for airplane construction (Ingham 1955, 10—11).

Figured I would add:

President Truman reduced Santa Rosa Island (FL) 4,700 acres in 1945

President Eisenhower reduced the size of the following national monuments:
 Arches (UT) 240 acres in 1960
 Black Canyon of the Gunnison (CO) 470 acres in 1960
 Colorado (CO) 91 acres in 1959
 Glacier Bay (AK) 24,925 acres in 1955
 Great Sand Dunes (CO) 8,805 acres in 1956.

President Kennedy reduced Bandelier (NM) 1,043 acres in 1963

Last edited:
Pretty simple find for Congress activity:

Congress abolished several national monuments created by presidential proclamations.
Three of the 15 National Monuments transferred from the Forest Service to the National
Park Service in 1933 (Executive Order 6166, June 10, 1933) - Holy Cross (CO), Old
Kassan (AK) and Wheeler (CO) – were later abolished. The monuments were abolished
by Congress in 1950, 1955 and 1950 respectively, and the lands encompassed in them
reverted to Forest Service administration.
The War Department administered ten National Monuments established by proclamation:
Big Hole Battlefield, Cabrillo, Castle Pinckney, Father Millet Cross, Fort Marion, Fort
Matanzas, Fort Pulaski, Meriwether Lewis, Mound City Group and the Statue of Liberty
National Monuments. The monuments were transferred to the Department of the Interior
by Executive Order (EO) No. 6166, referenced above. Because of some doubt as to the
meaning of EO No. 6166, President Roosevelt issued EO 6228 on July 28, 1933,
specifically listing War Department properties, including national monuments that were
to be transferred to the National Park Service. Of these ten, Father Millet Cross National
Monument was abolished by Congress in 1949. Castle Pinckney National Monument
was abolished by Congress in 1956. Meriwether Lewis National Monument became part
of Natchez Trace National Parkway by Act of Congress in 1961. Congress renamed Fort
Marion as "Castillo de San Marcos National Monument" in 1942. The other six former
War Department monuments (Big Hole Battlefield, Cabrillo, Fort Matanzas, Fort Pulaski,
Mound City Group and the Statue of Liberty) remain as national monuments within the
national park system, as they were originally named
Presidential Proclamations created five other national monuments that Congress
abolished and whose lands are not now administered by the NPS. The monuments were
given to the NPS at their origin and were administered by the NPS until their demise.
The monuments and their year of abolition by Congress were: Fossil Cycad (SD) (1956),
Lewis and Clark Cavern (MT) (1937), Papago Saguaro (AZ) (1930), Shoshone Cavern
(MT) (1954) and Verendrye (ND) (1956).
http://npshistory.com/publications/national-monuments-faq-0117.pdf

Xanterra provides upscale goods, services, and accommodations in National Parks to satisfy a market demand much different from the demand at National Forest Campgrounds. If you desire to purchase ice cream, rubber tomahawks, and upscale services and accommodations when you "camp" in the forest ... then Xanterra would really work for you. As more of a traditionalist when it comes to camping, I don't support commercialization of USFS or BLM campgrounds.

Does this one work for ya. http://www.americanll.com/ Retirees keeping the peace, keeping toilet nice, and collecting fees. Another excellent Utah solution.

Government is not efficient and allowing the private sector to manage things more efficiently is a good path. Keep the park rangers to protect the mission of the parks and allow business to manage the services and infrastructure.

Hmm, seems to me that if these agencies were properly funded maybe there wouldn't be a backlog? Never mind, that's way too simple.

Yep, that's way to simple for me. Government is ALWAYS the answer. Let's just spend more money and raise taxes. I have an idea.... let's cut food stamps and fund the parks for the 11 billion. How about raising the fee paid for using these campgrounds by 1000%. That'd be a start. Never mind, that's way too simple.

good luck to all
the dog

I like Zinke.
And why do some people end their posts with "Cheers"??? Are you British?...If you ended with "eh" I'd think you were Canadian...but "Cheers"...got to be British.

Status
Not open for further replies.
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back