Where to start?

cmoore83

Me and my hunting buddie are planning a spring black bear hunt in Alaska for the spring 2018 season, we are just going to get the leftover tags in unit 1a, is there anyone out there that can give me some direction as to where to start looking for advice on air charters,or areas that might hold a few bears? We are planning on staying in a forest cabin for a week and I've already spoken to the biologist out of Ketchikan who gave me a couple of places to look into. Is there anyplace I should steer clear of while looking in to those cabins? Neither one of us are expecting huge bears but would atleast like to get a couple stalks on a bear or two... if you are able to please help as there are probably many places that might hold bear, but as I've never been to Alaska this is all pretty daunting. Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide.

Never hunted the area, good luck. I have eaten a fried halibut with chips on the wharf at Ketchikan. In fact, it was so good I immediately went back for another.

Which might hold a better opportunity of seeing bears, hunting along the coast somewhere or hunting around an inland fresh water lake? Just trying to better gauge all the possibilities.

If you do go with a forest service cabin the areas immediately adjacent to such cabins get hunted a little harder than the rest. That said if it were me I'd be renting a skiff or some mode of transportation similar to what Randy does on his spring bear hunts. It allows you to be mobile, can get you away from the harder hunted areas, the angle from being out on the water allows you to see more ground and you can also get into some fishing when the bear hunting is slow. A must in my opinion.

Is the hunting better along a bay that leads to the ocean better in the spring or would one of the fresh water lakes be worth a look in the spring?

Is the hunting better along a bay that leads to the ocean better in the spring or would one of the fresh water lakes be worth a look in the spring?

Lots of fresh growing grass would be the key. Lake shores tend to have less than salt water bays and estuaries.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back