Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

bipod for elk hunt?

I just got my v2-27 snipe pod set up the other day,,impressed with the lightweight design and how it attatches,,,still gotta go give it a try on the range yet though.

Does any solid bipods fit in a horse scabbard eg. the snipepod? I am entertaining a bipod vs sticks in the pack. I want to avoid having to attach a bipod and a sling every time I get off my horse.

I am at the age where I use walking/hiking sticks when I hunt. I have a strip of bicycle tire inner tube that I use to "tie" the sticks together to make a bidpod. May sound goofy but works well for me.

Does any solid bipods fit in a horse scabbard eg. the snipepod? I am entertaining a bipod vs sticks in the pack. I want to avoid having to attach a bipod and a sling every time I get off my horse.

My buddy has shooting sticks that attach like a bipod and they fold up and are held in place by velcro. They are very small and easily fit in the scabbards on our two horseback hunts in 2015 and 2016. You just pop the velcro loose and they unfold quickly into as solid a fixture as a bigger metal bipod. I have no idea where he bought them or what the brand name is, but if you're interested in getting one let me know and I'll get the information from him for you.

I made a quick set of sticks for my first rifle elk hunt in the mid1990s. I was thinking they would be easy to toss into the brush and walk away from if I didn't like them and something I would probably replace if I did. However, I killed my first bull in the last minute of the last day off of those sticks and they have become one of my most important possessions. Now, I don't even like going squirrel hunting without them. I can't even imagine how many animals I have shot over them now that 20+ years have gone by. I don't think any other piece of my kit has been so universally used. The only place I did not take them was Africa and I deeply regret that.

Just two ash saplings with a piece of leather bootlace to tie them together and another lace to make a sling over my shoulder. They have a hardened ("concrete") nail in the bottom ends to give a bit of grip (about 3/4" long at most) and the .45-70 casts on the top end stopped some splitting that occurred as they dried out.

2011%20Antelope%20Buck%20and%20Ballard%20&%20Sticks%20small.JPG

I run Harris bipods on all my rifles and use leki trekking poles on just about every hunt I go on. I am willing to carry an extra pound or two knowing I can adapt to any shooting needs I will encounter in the mountains or draw country in western SD.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back