bipod for elk hunt?

Florida Boy

do most you use a bipod on your rifles for elk hunting? I use a 13"-23" for antelope hunting in Wyoming but I think that may be taller than needed in mountains. I can't shoot prone with that one, I've been practicing more in prone position so I was thinking maybe put a shorter one on from another rifle or not use one at all, just use pack.

I carry a set of shooting sticks. Don't recall the length, but I can shoot sitting or kneeling with them. Never much cared for a bipod on my rifle. Hangs up and ruins the balance of the rifle.

I would think taller would be better than short. At least the places I have been elk hunting getting prone would have been difficult. I am definitely looking to get one. I am considering the Swagger bipod.....looks interesting and I can probably stand with it if needed. Also considering Snipe Pod because it is very lightweight, or just a cheap one off amazon. :)

I personally like a taller bipod so that I can see over brush. I'm a HUGE fan of snipepods. They are very light weight and unfold almost completely on their own and can very quickly be adjusted from tall to short, if needed.

I always have a bipod on my rifle no matter the terrain or the hunt. I'm not skilled enough to not have one on and I justify the extra weight because of that.

I have a 6x9 bipod on my rifle , it came with my 308 when I purchased it last summer , at first I was thinking it's too small for hunting in NW Oregon where I live we hunt brushy clearcuts for deer and elk and I need a taller bipod to get above the slash left on the ground but I was able to fill both tags last season, loggers leave lots of stumps :p and I used that for a rest and it took one shot at 277 yds on my Elk . first time I've ever hunted with a bipod , and won't go in the woods with out one now , I'm sold on them, plus I feel when you know your rifles on , a bipod gives you an inner peace or confidence

Last edited:
I just use my trekking poles as shooting sticks if I need some. I'm not a fan of the extra weight of a bipod and like the dual function of the trekking poles.

In NW Oregon where I live there is no real area to hike in too, because the mountains are all road covered from 80 years of logging we use trucks to move from point to point , and when I do hike around I use old logging roads which are overgrown to varying degrees, when I do go literally off road it's usually a nasty $&@?! Hole mess, Trek poles here would hang you up , I've never seen trekking poles till I saw Randy use them on his show . Eastern Oregon is different, they could be useful there I believe

Last edited:
I am also looking at getting a bipod for elk hunting. Any suggestions on whether a Harris is worth the extra money (basically double) over a Champion? What about pivoting? Essential or not? Thanks

I am also looking at getting a bipod for elk hunting. Any suggestions on whether a Harris is worth the extra money (basically double) over a Champion? What about pivoting? Essential or not? Thanks

Pivoting is essential out west. It's not a huge step up in price to get pivoting anyway.

We have harris on our rifles longest model they make. They are a little heavy on the gun but work good. I agree with getting a pivoting model ours don't and it would really be helpful if they did . You can get a little movement without the pivot.

thanks for replies. I never hunted elk before or hunted in the mountains so I didn't think about the terrain being that brushy. I'll have a tripod with me so maybe I'll add a rest to attach to it and leave my bipod on also. I have been practicing in a sitting position with bipod also out to 450 which is as far as I got on my property.

Have used a harris bipod for over 20 yrs. All game and terrain. I also pack shooting sticks

I have a bipod on my gun all the time! Harris S model 13-27" I think!

I have a Harris that goes up to about 30 inches. 2 Years ago drilled a bull at 416 yards. I allways use it. We hut Coues deer down here and its a small target and sometime long shots. Wouldn't go without it..........BOB!

I've used my Harris bipod that extends to 26" from time to time. I'm all for it's purpose of providing for a steady shot, but decided to leave it home. It just adds to much weight and balance to lug all day long. It may not seem like much, but to me, it does.
I will add though, they're super nice when you want to set your rifle down, and can use it to support it without laying it on the ground. I found a plastic extendable monopod at Walmart that has both a gun cradle, and unscrews to support a screw that fits a camera. It's so lightweight, that won't be noticed in my pack. I'll give this a try.

I walk with shooting sticks that kind of act like a trekking pole. I'm not familiar with bipods, but would think when elk hunting, taller would be better. At least in the terrain I hunt in. They would need to short enough to at least sit down and shoot though.

I know I mentioned it above, but I highly recommend taking a look at Snipepod. They weight very little, are not bulky, very adjustable and can easily be switched from one rifle to another. I was a little surprised when reading Rinellas guide to hunting, butchering and cooking wild game that he included it in some of his pictures, because they are such a small company.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back