Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Montana Sheep, Moose, Goat drawing 2017

Guess my wife and I will be taking a belated 15th wedding anniversary/ camping/moose hunting trip in southwest Montana this fall! Gonna be a busy year for us for sure.

Congrats to you guys who'll be hunting moose. That's great.

Nothing for me. :mad:

Good luck on the ewe! I thought about giving that a try but decided to wait a year. Did you have any points going in to the draw or was this your first year applying?

Nothing for me. No surprise though. Somehow I managed to avoid drawing an elk tag that gohunt says I had a 93% chance of drawing with my bonus points.

Thanks DIY. I only had a couple of points, but was fine using it on a ewe. Some people probably wouldn't, but hey I have never shot a Bighorn so I was fine with it. Besides I have horrible luck so I will probably never draw a ram tag in my lifetime haha.

Thanks DIY. I only had a couple of points, but was fine using it on a ewe. Some people probably wouldn't, but hey I have never shot a Bighorn so I was fine with it. Besides I have horrible luck so I will probably never draw a ram tag in my lifetime haha.

I drew a ewe tag in CO a few years ago. Drew as 2nd choice so kept points. As a NR applying in MT, only will draw a ewe as 1st choice so you did great with your strategy.

I have applied in OR, WA, AZ, NM, TX, WY, MT, ID, UT, CO and NV for over a decade with no bighorn ram tags to show. I did draw an exotic tag in TX for public lands and harvested a nice Aoudad ram so that was also a fun hunt as wait for the sheep gods to bless me with a bighorn ram tag.

My ewe hunt high up in the Rockies was an enjoyable hunt with nice weather and a lot of ewes to look over. I did tense up a few times as was judging ewe horns in a herd of several dozen critters and when would find a yearling ram mixed in with the ewes. Lambs are easy to tell apart from adult ewes but yearling rams have similar horns. Take your time making sure have a ewe in the crosshairs.

Good luck and have a wonderful adventure!

So does the ewe tag also come with a 7 year penalty?

No, but if a NR draws a ewe tag, it comes out of the total NR quota. As I recall its about 8 ram tags and on average 2 ewe tags given to NR each year. I think there is about 10,000 NR applying for those 10 tags. Someone has to draw.

No, but if a NR draws a ewe tag, it comes out of the total NR quota. As I recall its about 8 ram tags and on average 2 ewe tags given to NR each year. I think there is about 10,000 NR applying for those 10 tags. Someone has to draw.

I could have done without reading that Bambistew. Hahaha Still much better than the odds of drawing a Maine moose permit. Oh well someone does have to draw maybe me before I kick over.

I called and asked about that about 2 years ago and the guy told me that the ewe and ram pools are treated separate. As in if there are 50 ram tags and 20 ewe tags available, NR's can draw up to 5 ram tags and 2 ewe tags.

I called and asked about that about 2 years ago and the guy told me that the ewe and ram pools are treated separate. As in if there are 50 ram tags and 20 ewe tags available, NR's can draw up to 5 ram tags and 2 ewe tags.

The way I understand it is this way. As far as the big three tags go toward non residents is that non residents can't draw more than 10% of the region's tags. Montana has 7 region's don't confuse that with the units. So let's say for example region 6 has 100 total tags no more than 10 can go to non residents and this ten includes both ram and ewe tags in say the sheep draw. Anyone have solid info that this is different?

And with the total being around 128,000 for 120 tags.

Back