goat

dbusta

I have mountain goat tag for Idaho. I want to shoot it with my flintlock what do you guys think

For me personally, I couldn't do it. I wouldn't want to handicap myself on a once in a lifetime hunt.

If you can live with the possibility of not getting a goat because of your weapon choice, then go for it.

I think you should give it a try. Take a buddy to pack a rifle for you so if you find a bomber billy but can't get on him with the smoke pole then you can harvest him with the rifle. I wished I had tried mine with a bow but after hearing a buddy of mine lose his opportunity at his once in a lifetime because he only had a bow, I decided to take the rifle. Turns out the billy I got was sound asleep and in a stalkable position. I feel fairly confident I could have harvested him with a bow. That is my only regret.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your scouting and hunt. Seems like there is a pretty good goat following on this forum.

Absolutely take the Clinton and a backup. I do it with my bow and rifle for nearly all animals.

I think I would go with Baermans' suggestion about the backup rifle. Perhaps if you have time you could hunt the first half of you hunting time with your smoke pole then switch to your rifle if you have to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back