Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

300 wsm bullet for bear and wolf.

Cashris

Hey guys I was emailing my outfitter last night and asked what type of projectile and weight he would recommend i use for my black bear/ wolf hunt, his response was something not to heavy but accurate incase we get on to a wolf.

Im taking my 300 wsm and was going to use 180gr accubonds but am now thinking i might be over doing it.

This might be my only north American trip so i dont want to take the wrong gear there but i also dont want to blow massive holes in the critters either as i want them as rugs.

If im honest im a bit lost here and over thinking things a bit.
Any help or advise would be appreciated.

180 Grain Accubond is perfect for anything big. You need to break a bear down and bust his shoulder. Its what I use. Its not to much on a wolf, because a really dead wolf is the best kind.

You are going on a bear hunt. Find the bullet for that. Is it possible that you will use this rifle for other game in the fall? 180 Accubond is a great all around bullet. I wouldn't worry about how big a hole the wolf hide had in it.

+1 on the Accubonds, My Dad runs 180gr Nosler Accubonds out of his .300WSM and has taken everything from Antelope to Canada Moose with it. It will do you well, and shouldn't blow up a wolf pelt if you get into one.

I couldn't find a picture at first but this is an 180Gr Accubond after it was recovered it from a 6 and 1/2 foot bear shot straight in the chest at 100yrds. Bullet went through entire cavity and ended up under hide on rear quarter.Accubond 1.jpg

Thank you guys for the help, i think im going to try and get the 180 accubonds to fly straight i also have a box of 180 gr woodleighs as well, if they dont group well i'll give the 165/168's a crack.
I do really like the sound of the barnes 168's too.

If you're already shooting a 180 AB and you're happy with the accuracy I'd stay with it.

I agree with Lefty. My good friend feeds his .300 WSM 180 gr Barnes TTSX and shoots bear, whitetail, elk, and even a pronghorn with it. He swears by that load and shoots nothing else. I shoot Nosler Accubonds and use 150 gr on deer and 180gr on elk, I like to reload and try different bullet weights depending on the game.

I would try several different types of bullets/gr and whatever shoots the best stick with that.

dont know the possible ranges you'd be hunting, my experience has been with 168gr. T-TSX loaded in my 30-06 works well on black bear, the bullet is accurate out to 300 yards. i don't have experience past that, as i don't like taking shots at game much past that 300 yard mark. however your current choice of 180 grains is well suited for almost anything on the continent.

I shoot a 300 wsm I have used remington express core lokt 150 gr pointed soft point on a 6 foot bear had to shoot him twice first bullet came apart on shoulder . Since then I have a little worry in the back of my mind with core lokt. I have shot elk with them and deer never had any issues. Ranges on game have been under a hundred yards to 350 yard . I do like nosler and keep thinking of swapping out to partitions.

Back