MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Raft vs Drift Boat

Southern Elk

I'm looking to purchase one or the other soon and want to hear some pros and cons of each. I've fished out of both. I will be near the Madison River in SW Montana and it seems that most people there have fiberglass drift boats. I might want to fish some smaller water too and it seems like a raft might be more versatile. I'm also thinking that the raft might be fun to float in with the family when I'm not fishing. Any info is welcome.

I like drift boats more than rafts, but if I could only have one boat, it'd be a raft because of versatility.

Boat is easier it maneuver and move around in and can be ready to go at a moments notice. Raft takes up less storage and can be inflated at the river so trailer is not required allowing you to get into places a trailer may be difficult. They both have their place.

Thanks guys. El Unit, I can only have one right now. I'm leaning towards the raft for versatility, but I'm open to hearing everyone's opinions.

A drift boat will be easier to row, however if your newer to floating a raft will be more forgiving. Personally I run a raft and love it. In august when the rivers get bony it's no problem. Once you buy a boat you'll be looking for any excuse you can to get out and float! Good luck.

Southern Elk- I have both. When you make it to MT and we can float the Big Hole or the Madison with either one for you to try out.

A raft gives you a wider range of places to put in and take out, and is also more forgiving (nothing will make you cringe like the sound of squaring up a rock in a drift boat). With that said, a drift boat it more comfortable to fish out of and row.

The answer is both :)

Well... I'm gonna throw a spanner in the works, we'll see what ya think... To me a Cataraft is about the best of both worlds outside of a guide boat. It's a bit higher out of the water than a raft, can seat 3 easier to row than a traditional raft, but still an inflatable. It might be a better hybrid option for ya. I think it may be a good option as a hybrid...

http://www.aire.com/aire-cataraft/lion16.asp

Lots of good advice above. As you can see, pros and cons to each and every type of watercraft. I have a 14' raft. It suits my needs well, I use it to play in the waves and float leisurely downstream with groups of other rafts. I rarely fish out of it. Catarafts are fun too. One downside to a cataraft (especially big cats) is the frame adds up to a lot of weight. If I were mostly fishing, I'd go drift boat. Go raft for versatility. You can still fish out of a raft. Not many running their drift boat down the Lochsa or Alberton Gorge.

I was hoping to simplify things Southern Elk, not complicate them... I'm kinda leaning toward a Cataraft to start with. They are (in my opinion) a bit better fishing platform than a raft but not as good as a hard boat. Plus, I feel that a Cataraft is a bit easier to row than a raft for a single rower. Either with a raft or a Cataraft, for one person rowing, you'll probably want a good frame. They take up much less space in storage than a hard boat, and are definitely a better option for whitewater and small water than a hard boat.

All that being said, If I'm wanting to get a boat to fish out of primarially, I'm going with a drift boat; hands down. They are a Far better fishing platform than a raft or a Cataraft... Better storage, stability, easy of fishing standing, maneuverability, dry interior, Ultimately... for me, long term; the boat I'd like to get is a Clacka 16' Eddy

NRS makes an inflatable drift boat also check out hog island drift boats you can beat the hell out of them, very entertaining videos on youtube.
only downside with the drift boats is you need a boat ramp for put ins and take outs but i've seen some guys do some pretty crazy shit with there hog island boats.

Nothing beats a drift boat for fishing out of, but when you gotta have a raft you gotta have a raft.

The answer is buy both!!!

Thanks for the info guys. It's a lot to think about.

MKotur325, I was just kidding about making the decision harder. I appreciate the recommendation.

I built a drift boat in Oregon 30 years ago and that wood boat is still working up there. I put in over mud banks and roped it down slides all the time. Perfect fishing machine and easy to row and control. My buddies have the bigger rafts with the welded aluminum frames and they like them also but they aren't much lighter than a drift boat and need a trailer.

Drift boats: Much nicer to row, more stable to stand and cast from, no frame to get your line hung up on, more room, a low side will do much better in the wind (Madison, Missouri, etc), easier to stay dry during cold weather months, no inflating/deflating/sun-protecting/maintenance.

Rafts: More put-in and take-out options, can disassemble/drag if an impromptu portage is needed, no problem scraping bottom or banging in to rocks, can re-arrange frame to squeeze in four people, can use for whitewater / family floats

Last edited:
NRS makes an inflatable drift boat also check out hog island drift boats you can beat the hell out of them, very entertaining videos on youtube.
only downside with the drift boats is you need a boat ramp for put ins and take outs but i've seen some guys do some pretty crazy shit with there hog island boats.

Plastic boats like Hog Islands and Boulder Boat Works are pretty sweet. I have a Hog Island. It's heavy and a little slower to row, but I love that if I smack into a rock it's no big deal. It also opens up more put in options. I have shoved my boat off the trailer and down an embankment into the river that no one would dare do in a fiberglass boat.

To me a drift boat is the most versatile boat there is. I can run mine with a 8HP Yamaha as a power boat in some pretty big water or drag it down some pretty small streams if needed. I have no experience with floating rivers in Montana but for Western Oregon a drift boat is THE way to go. We use it for everything! Clamming, hunting, all types of fishing......really can't beat it.

Seems like it might be handy to have a boat to fish lakes out there with a little outboard too? Just another angle to confuse you! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back