Difference Between Model 70's

LandDiver

So I'm looking at the differences Model 70 Sportster and Model 70 Super Grade. Besides the stock, everything else appears to be the same. The price difference is making me wonder if I am missing anything different between them. On paper they have the exact specs except for weight. just looking for clarification.

Also anybody know if Sportsman's Warehouse usually throw a Father's Day sale? Going tomorrow when we go to the big city for a baby appointment and look at the Remington 700 Sendero and Winchester Model 70 side by side.

Attachments

• 17B53127-479A-4B41-A73A-C7AF2B67E06B.jpg
    17B53127-479A-4B41-A73A-C7AF2B67E06B.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,759
The Sendero and the Model 70's you are looking at aren't a fair comparison. mtmuley

Just bought a Super Grade in .308. Very nice rifle. A little better wood and a brighter polish on the barrel and receiver than the Sporter. The Winchester website shows the Sporter as weighing several ounces less in the same caliber. Don't know why, but could be different profiles of the barrels.

I always loved the Super Grade just based on looks alone. They have much nicer wood than the sporter. I think the super grades also have some sort of cross bolt on the stock just ahead of the trigger guard (I'm not sure it is functional or just decorative) but thats one thing that always sticks out to me on the super grade.

Stainless steel, Bell/Carlson composite stock, 1.25# less fat, just from reading the ad. Which big city are you visiting for gunshopping?

I just threw the extreme weather I so I could see all 3 side by side. I'm really wanting a wood stock rifle for my first rifle. We will be driving to Boise which is about an hour from here. There's a Sportman's Warehouse in the small "city" rift next to it.

The Sendero and the Model 70's you are looking at aren't a fair comparison. mtmuley

I was looking at those because I have shot the Sendero recently and liked how it felt. Th Model 70 has .25" more LOP and its wood. Was just curious if the $350 price difference was strictly the difference in wood or something mechanically that I wasn't seeing in the descriptions.

Just bought a Super Grade in .308. Very nice rifle. A little better wood and a brighter polish on the barrel and receiver than the Sporter. The Winchester website shows the Sporter as weighing several ounces less in the same caliber. Don't know why, but could be different profiles of the barrels.

On the Winchester site it says the Super Grade is 8lbs 8oz while the Sporter is 7lbs 120z for the 7mm Rem Mag, and both have the same sporter barrel. I think the Super Grade is a good looking rifle as well. Post a pic of your 308!

I always loved the Super Grade just based on looks alone. They have much nicer wood than the sporter. I think the super grades also have some sort of cross bolt on the stock just ahead of the trigger guard (I'm not sure it is functional or just decorative) but thats one thing that always sticks out to me on the super grade.

Yeah it's a great looking rifle. Seen a couple pictures member posted of theirs and it's amazing. Thank you.

Out of the three Winchesters you posted, the Extreme Weather would be suited best for a hunting rifle. My opinion only, and I don't care for Winchesters. The Sendero is a great rifle. Heavy and not really made for packing. I'll piss of the Winchester guys, but I say the Sendero will out shoot all the Winnies you are looking at. mtmuley

Out of the three Winchesters you posted, the Extreme Weather would be suited best for a hunting rifle. My opinion only, and I don't care for Winchesters. The Sendero is a great rifle. Heavy and not really made for packing. I'll piss of the Winchester guys, but I say the Sendero will out shoot all the Winnies you are looking at. mtmuley

Hmmm...from what I experienced the other day, and never ever having shot 500 yards, let alone shoot rifles ever and hit on my second shot, I agree with you no question there. Making me think now. And you are right, I haven't seen a flat spot ever where I've been ha ha! That's a main reason I was looking at other options.

Last edited:
Throw a VX3i on that Extreme Weather, find a good load, (or factory ammo) and you are set. mtmuley

You said you wanted wood furniture which I aesthetically agree with. Difference in the two rifles should be grade of wood, but that doesn't explain the weight difference, nor the capacity difference. I think putting your paws on them is your option, and then seeing what the cfo says is ok. I'm spending your money, so the way the form of art looks matters most.

One only only choice is the extreme weather 7mm, I own one and love it

I hate wood when it gets wet. Can swell, split the stock, warp a bit, all bad risks that you can avoid with other non-wood stock options. Why not shop for a used rifle with a non-wood stock? Or buy used, toss out the wood and put on a non-wood? I also notice every dent and scratch in the wood of my trap gun. Makes me grit my teeth when goes bump or something falls against it. Non-wood can be used to club a grizz in the head, if need be, and no scratches, no dents.

Forgot to mention, I currently have a Ziess conquest on it but have a 30mm vx3i that I'm thinking of putting on it.

The wood on the super grade is a very dense, tight grained Walnut. That adds a few ounces. The bottom metal is steel on super and aluminum on the Sporter if I remember correctly.
I purchased an old m70 featherweight in 300 win. mag. and after a good recoil pad upgrade , it cost under $450.00 used.
It is like new and an excellent shooter. Vortex viper pst in a 4x16 40mm objective sits on it nicely and balances well.
The wood stock is beautiful and has a nice feel. But a synthetic stock is lower maintenance.

If I was buying a new rifle I would choose the 700 sendero over the super grade m70. Love my m70 ,but the 700 sendero is more rifle for the money. Magazine on the m70 will need modified to load long, heavy for caliber bullets. The 700 will allow loading long seated ammo easily.

I shoot both rifles in 7mm and 300 win. mag. and both are very accurate. The Sporter model 70 shoots well , but the fit of the stock and the bedding isn't as well done. All magnum rifles in the m70 have cross bolts also.
I did need to glass bed my 700 to get true potential, but I did the same to my featherweight m70.
Both new rifles have good triggers but my old used m70 needed polish and adjustment.

I like good used guns for not just the price but also the better quality finish in the metal . The old standard 700 is a great gun if found in good shape. The blued guns of today just aren't finished as well very often. The new super grade m70 is one of the few well finished guns on the market.

Good luck deciding.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back