plantar fasitis

mixedbag

Anyone else on here suffer from this??I have it really bad now since February.Went to Dr gave me stretching exercises and told me ibuprofen and ice it as well.It's not getting any better.If anything it's getting worse,and walking is extremely painful within 3-4 hours of being on my feet.Anybody here taken a shot in their foot for this??I don't know what else to do and I have a really good Colorado archery elk tag.I'm hoping someone on here has some advise of what worked for them.Other parts of that foot are now hurting due to how weird I have to walk on that foot

I have it in my left foot. It's painful.

I bought a shoe insert (Wal-Mar) and this definitely helps. It has helped so much that I have to remind myself to continue to keep it in my shoe, if I don't it comes back. I can now go a day of so with no insert and then it flares up. Give this a try as well as what your doctor recommended.

I would be curious of what stretching exercises your doctor recommended.

Try a new insole. Lathrop and sons makes a great one called the synergy. Superfeet are good as well. I had an issue myself not too long ago and switching boots and shoes with new insoles made a world of difference. Make sure you are getting enough magnesium each day as well. It sucks but it's nothing you can't overcome and correct. If you are wearing shoes or boots you have had for a while that could be the cause.

My good friend has this. He finally found the right boots and added insoles. That seemed to help quite a bit, but did not solve it completely. I have no idea what it's like, but he says it's downright horrible.
Strangely enough, he also said he used to drink energy drinks (redbull, monster, etc) daily- and since he quit, he has a fraction of the flare ups. Don't know if there's any relation there?

I bought special insoles from my foot Dr.I have them in my work boots and my sneakers.Unfortunately they are helping either.The pain is ridiculous and almost has me in tears some days.Have any of you had the shot??It's really my last resort.I don't know how I'm going to be able to train for my hunt.When I get home from work,I put it right on ice to numb the pain.The stretches basically are putting a towel around your toes and pulling them back to stretch the tendons under your foot.I'm starting to think I may need surgery and that would put me out of my hunt.For years, I got mild cases of it that would go away after a few days to a week.Now I've been in extreme pain for almost 4 months

Have you tried the night splints?

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athl...oods&ie=UTF8&qid=1497218509&sr=1-6&th=1&psc=1

It seems like the solution is different for everyone. I managed the pain by keeping a water bottle in the freezer and before I went to bed at night I would roll my foot on it. I had another frozen water bottle and I would do the same during lunch.

Thankfully I figured out what was causing mine was changing my work shoes. I was wearing some dockers or something like that and bought some really nice Italian leather shoes that didn't have any cushion or arch support. I thought it was something relating to my running when it started hurting. Took me a couple months to isolate it down to my work shoes when I didn't wear them on vacation for a week and then when I went back to work my foot started hurting again.

Since I went back to more supportive cushioned shoes at work I haven't had an issue even.

Good luck.

My wife did the therapy, insoles and stretches. After all of that didn't work she got a shot of cortisone and wished she would have started there. Instant relief and now she just wears custom insoles and occasionally a boot brace to bed if she aggravates it. She also cannot wear cheap shoes anymore.

I have had it in both feet. Last year was horrible. I had plantar fasciitis in both feet, the right was the worst. I also had Achilles tendonitis in the left achilles. In July I tore the peroneal brevis in my right foot because of the wear and tear caused on it by favoring the side of my foot when I walked. This was totally due to the PF, so be careful about over doing it if it bothers you. The podiatrist started out with cortisone injections, but they were temporary and she mainly just did this so they could get some swelling out of them for the MRI. It was the most aggravating thing I have had to deal with, ever.

In August of last year, I had a PRP (platelet rich plasma) injection on the tendon injury and the plantar fasciitis in my right foot. I also started physical therapy and an aggressive hot-cold therapy. I had a hot water bath for 5 minutes as hot as I could stand it, then ice water bath for 5 minutes and did this for 20-30 minutes total. It really relieved the swelling and inflammation. I also did stretches twice per day at least. Here are some good ones http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/exercises-to-reduce-plantar-fasciitis

Another thing I did was using a Bromelain extract. It is a natural anti-inflammatory found in pineapple. I used this one https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Plus...TF8&qid=1497222903&sr=1-29&keywords=bromelain I think it helped more than anything actually. Also massage the bottom of the plantar with foot lotion. REALLY apply pressure. To the point that it hurts. This breaks up the scar tissue and re-aligns the collagen fibers.

The good news is, if you find a routine and follow it, it will eventually go away. Stick with it though. I had the PRP for the torn tendon in August and I was hunting New Mexico the end of October (with a good ankle brace on). I wasn't winning marathons, but I was hiking miles daily and just taking my time. Good luck, I wish you the best for the PF and the tag!

Last edited:
My dr recommended an otc in sole, the brand is SOLE. The thickest one, you heat them in the microwave and they mold to your feet. Those and PT worked for me. Also good shoes with a very stiff sole. The frozen water bottle feels really good too. I didn't have to do the shot but my Mom did and she said it helped. I hope something works for you! One of the most painful thing I've ever had happen.

I suffered from them in both feet. I went to Wal-Mart, and the Dr. Scholls insert machine (the one you stand on) told me which insoles to get. I needed the 440. They helped immediately. My chiropractor also told me sit in a chair, and roll a golf ball around under your foot (massaging the tendons) for about a minute at a time, several times a day. It hurt to do it at first because the tendons were sore, but you can immediately feel relief. After a couple of days, the tenderness went away, and I do the golf ball massage daily. I never tried the shot.

I had injections twice and got good sole inserts. A year after and I dont even need the inserts anymore....no pain!

I had it bad in my right foot a couple years ago. Turned out to be a bad pair of shoes (Merrell). I rolled a tennis ball on the bottom of my foot and it really helped (like the frozen water bottle or golf ball mentioned above). I found instant relief wearing an orthopedic boot. It worked like a miracle, unbelievable to go from such pain to none when you walk. I work in an office so was able to wear the boot for 2 straight weeks and haven't had any flare ups since.

My middle daughter has this. She has the Walmart dr scholls inserts and they seem to help her. She has a couple pairs and definitely noticed it when she forgets them.

Thanks everyone!!!.You can bet I will try all of treatments suggested.I am going to schedule a cortisone shot before I cause bigger problems favoring that foot

Where is your pain? I get it between the ball of the foot and the toes. My dr said most get heel pain, but it can irritate nerve endings anywhere in the foot. Usually, mine is worse when bushwhacking than when trail hiking - maybe as a result of foot being stretched and torqued more as a result of uneven ground. Usually only one foot, but sometimes both. I've been through a bunch of boots and the Quests 4D with superfeet I have now seem to be working well. I also try to stretch 2-3 times a day, drink a lot of water, and occasionally roll a tennis ball in the arch of my feet during the day.

More important than treatment is figuring out what is causing it. Usually it is either extreme tightness in your hamstrings and calf muscles and/or a lack of support in the shoes you wear. I had a horrid case of it one year, and it ended up being a combination of shoes and muscle tightness.

Lots of good treatment options presented above. I essentially had to quit running for about 4 months, incorporate aggressive stretching and icing, and get some insoles for my boots.

Hydration is very important as it has a profound affect on the elasticity of your tendons. Plantar fascitis is a bunch of micro tears in the fascia/tendons that connect your heel to the ball of your foot. The tears result in scar tissue formation and lack of elasticity, and then more tears. This is why it's so difficult to heal properly unless you can go to a walking boot for a few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back