Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

308 pressure issues

When I work up new loads, I generally go to a few different sources and compare max loads. Also note the case type. Different manufactures have different capacities.

I just looked at Hodgdon website, they list a max of 47gr with a Nos BT, and 46.5 with the Partition. The load for the BT is just under SAMMI "max" pressure of 60,400psi. These also are using Winchester cases, which generally have the largest capacity.

In the end, I let the rifle do the talking, but generally don't push it too much. Brass tends to last longer.

I looked back at the manual I was using and thought I'd share what I found. I guess it's more important than I thought to update reloading manuals.

FWIW, I have reloading manuals that go back to the 1950's & 60's for some of the obsolete cartridges I have but I generally take all manuals with a grain or two of salt. Formulas on powders change, different batches produce slight variations on how the powder works, etc & some rifles just don't like max-charges. Sounds like the Howa doesn't like that max charge and dropping 10% and working up, while tedious, tends to keep your gun in 1 piece.

Good luck!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back