Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Which jacket or coat would you choose?

7mm08mo

I'm thinking about getting a new hunting jacket for my outer layer that stays packed away until I get where I am going to glass for a while or sit somewhere. I have a nice Cabelas hoodie now but it is very bulky, and weighs a lot just kinda wears you out packing it and takes up a lot of space, but it is warm and windproof. My question is which would you choose between the First lite uncompagre or the Sitka Jetstream? The First lite is super packable and light 17 oz and dwr but says nothing about wind proof, the jet stream is also dwr and wind proof but not sure how packable. This would be an outer layer as I already have a nice layering system in the llano long sleeve the chama long sleeve quarter zip and springer vest and labrador jacket in merino wool. Just wanting opinions on the pros and cons of each and any experiences with them. If I have overlooked something else that would work well let me know. Thanks for the advice.

I would look at the Kifaru parka.

This. My buddy has one and it's an awesome jacket. I would buy one but I already have a couple puffys.

I have both the jet stream and first lite puffy. Two totally different pieces. The jet stream is an awesome softshell that's good at everything but not great in any one area. Late season day hunts is a great time to use it. The puffy is super warm and packable but not designed to hike in. ZERO breathability. If you had to pick one, I would go with the puffy and pack it down when on the move. You don't really need a softshell but a puffy is nice to have in the pack from September through January. If you have the money, get both! Just my .02

How loud is that thing? Looks like it could generate a bit of fabric on fabric noise...

I'm thinking I could like it if it's not too loud.

I have the FL Uncompagre vest and it is always with me. I hear people complaining about the noise but I never notice it. Steve Renella seems to use it a lot with no issues. I also have a KUIU Teton insulated jacket that ways less than a pack of matches that I use when I glass. You won't be disappointed with either.

I would go with a Sitka Kelvin puffy. It will deflect wind plus its really warm. Can be compressed well and is light.... My $0.02! :)

Down jackets and Soft shell jackets do different things. Down is pure lightweight, packable insulation, but doesn't breath well, are typically louder and doesn't stop wind. Soft shells breath well, can be quieter depending on the exterior fabric, deal well with moisture since most have a DWR finish, but are heavier and are not quite as warm. I'm always going to have both with me most of the time which for me is a Sitka Stratus and a Kuiu Superdown.

I'm going to have a soft shell on quite a bit while hunting or moving and a down jacket is going on once I stop moving to glass. It is still a layering system and you really need both.

It sounds like right now you have a lot of insulating merino wool and I would be looking for a softshell with DWR coating and more wind stopping capability before pure insulation.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back