Ziinke - Friend or Foe?

Interesting dialog, keep it going.

I thought I would share a bit of my own personal experience with Public Lands.

I work closely with the process of Federal Mining Claims. Many folks do not know that any American can file a mining claim on much of our Federal lands. This is mostly BLM land.

The process is not that difficult and it is not that expensive. If you file a claim, you are entitled to the mineral rights on that land. All the gold, silver, or what ever are yours.

But, and here is the problem. Little guys can file claims, but most claimable lands that have minerals or good prospects have been claimed up by large corporations and shell companies. Some of these shell companies are not even in the United States, but are located in offshore banking centers.

The only thing that protects claimed federal land from serious harm from extraction are local, state and federal regulations and designations. For example, to mine you must file a plan of operations that includes a plan on how to return the land to "pre-condition" when mining is completed. Or, the land can be protected by designation such as a National Monument, which limits or eliminates that mining.

I would strongly encourage folks to not give an inch to the corporations who what our Public Lands. Believe me, they don't need it to get all the minerals they want. Remember, they get your gold, your silver for almost nothing and could give a hoot about you having access to hunt Big Horn Sheep.

The worse thing hunters (and other sportsmen an women) can do is to fall into the trap of defending those companies - for what ever reason.

Just look at some of the statements of defense for them in this thread.

Peabody Energy is not your friend, Exxon is not your friend. Necessary in the modern world, yes, but they are no friend to Public Lands advocacy.

Another suggestion. Both lefties and righties should dismount and walk together. What possible good comes from bashing California or Texas or Obama or Clinton or CCN or Fox News. Many will never find common ground there, but we certainly can find common ground on saving Public Lands.

Final thought. Can you over protect public lands? Of course, but here is the rub. When you overprotect, the worse that can happen is you may not be able to do some things in that area like drive a 4x4. or similar. In the future, that might get relief. If you under protect public lands you may lose your access completely, or you may find your mountain top just got removed by Peabody Energy and your stream just got mine tailings dumped into the bottom of it.

Fight for your Public Lands.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
Serious question: are there specific projects being proposed or are you just musing? Seems like the Gorge rim could be a place for pumped storage of wind energy. Maybe they are counting on battery technology being more feasible in the near future.

rg

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/feds-pull-plug-on-massive-reservoir-for-yakima-valley/

http://www.nwhydro.org/wp-content/u...Workshop_Presentations/7 - Tim Culbertson.pdf

http://www.klickitatpud.com/yourPUD/projects/PumpedStorage.aspx

BHR - there is no doubt that renewable energy is better for solving our most serious environmental problem: too much CO2 emissions. Nobody has any good ideas how to solve that problem short of reducing the production of CO2, and it is a simple math problem to show that very little progress can be made using fossil fuels. On the other hand, there is a roadmap to making solar a huge part of our energy supply. Reducing cost for generation and storage is a technical challenge that will be met. The same forces that make today's laptop computer more powerful than yesterday's Cray supercomputer are at work for creating solar energy.

You may believe that CO2 from fossil fuels is our biggest environmental threat, Rob, but I don't.

You want to know what creates the best solar energy? Plants and trees. They take sunlight, water, and CO2, and produce and store ENERGY and O2. Amazing technology that has been right under your nose all along!;)

I work closely with the process of Federal Mining Claims. Many folks do not know that any American can file a mining claim on much of our Federal lands. This is mostly BLM land.

The process is not that difficult and it is not that expensive. If you file a claim, you are entitled to the mineral rights on that land. All the gold, silver, or what ever are yours.

But, and here is the problem. Little guys can file claims, but most claimable lands that have minerals or good prospects have been claimed up by large corporations and shell companies. Some of these shell companies are not even in the United States, but are located in offshore banking centers.

The only thing that protects claimed federal land from serious harm from extraction are local, state and federal regulations and designations. For example, to mine you must file a plan of operations that includes a plan on how to return the land to "pre-condition" when mining is completed. Or, the land can be protected by designation such as a National Monument, which limits or eliminates that mining.

I would strongly encourage folks to not give an inch to the corporations who what our Public Lands. Believe me, they don't need it to get all the minerals they want. Remember, they get your gold, your silver for almost nothing and could give a hoot about you having access to hunt Big Horn Sheep.

The worse thing hunters (and other sportsmen an women) can do is to fall into the trap of defending those companies - for what ever reason.

Peabody Energy is not your friend, Exxon is not your friend. Necessary in the modern world, yes, but they are no friend to Public Lands advocacy.

Another suggestion. Both lefties and righties should dismount and walk together. What possible good comes from bashing California or Texas or Obama or Clinton or CCN or Fox News. Many will never find common ground there, but we certainly can find common ground on saving Public Lands.

Final thought. Can you over protect public lands? Of course, but here is the rub. When you overprotect, the worse that can happen is you may not be able to do some things in that area like drive a 4x4. or similar. In the future, that might get relief. If you under protect public lands you may lose your access completely, or you may find your mountain top just got removed by Peabody Energy and your stream just got mine tailings dumped into the bottom of it.

Cheers,

Mark

Could not agree more. I am all for keeping public lands public. I am also for taking care of and conserving these lands for future generations. We have very little undeveloped lands left in this country. I guess I view those lands as an asset that is worth protecting

You may believe that CO2 from fossil fuels is our biggest environmental threat, Rob, but I don't.

You want to know what creates the best solar energy? Plants and trees. They take sunlight, water, and CO2, and produce and store ENERGY and O2. Amazing technology that has been right under your nose all along!;)
Well, it is well known in the field that wind, hydro, and all in fact energy sources are solar. Coal energy is simply solar energy from millions of years packed into an easy to use form. Unfortunately, harnessing it releases CO2.

I know you are at least as unqualified as I am to speak knowledgeably about the threat of CO2. A debate between us would be a debate between two people who don't know WTF they are talking about; we are limited to echoing the work of others. Both of us would prefer CO2 wasn't a problem. However, my opinion on the matter is supported by the vast majority of scientists who have dedicated their lives to studying the issue. Your opinion is supported by a scant few credentialed scientists and an industry that would crumble if we stop using fossil fuels. We can't be experts in everything and we need to rely on the knowledge of others.

Cheers,

Mark

This blog post concerning mining, public land wilderness, metals used in catalytic converters, and bighorn sheep, challenges a lot of what you are saying here Mark. Read this and then comment please.

https://wildrockies.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/in-balance-at-stillwater/

History proves the blog post is an anomoly, and not the general practise. I'm all for balance but industry spends millions every year to buy politicians so they can walk away from their responsibility.

History proves the blog post is an anomoly, and not the general practise. I'm all for balance but industry spends millions every year to buy politicians so they can walk away from their responsibility.

Or ex polliticians, Ben.

"In 2013, a group of activist investors led by former Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer bought enough shares to oust Stillwater’s board members and install their own slate.

Schweitzer took over as chairman of the board and hired McMullen, a veteran of the mining industry in Australia."

Schweitzer's group quickly ran the mine into the ground, and now it is being sold.

Last edited:
I dont care about Schweitzer.

I care that the place we live is being handed over to selfish interests who privatize the profits and socialize the losses.

I dont care about Schweitzer.

I care that the place we live is being handed over to selfish interests who privatize the profits and socialize the losses.

Well then Ben, you should hold the Stillwater Mine pre Schweitzer as a model of mining companies doing things right, while providing jobs and important metals to this country.

Or ex polliticians, Ben.

"In 2013, a group of activist investors led by former Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer bought enough shares to oust Stillwater’s board members and install their own slate.

Schweitzer took over as chairman of the board and hired McMullen, a veteran of the mining industry in Australia."

Schweitzer's group quickly ran the mine into the ground, and now it is being sold.

What a partisan hack you are BHR, your hatred for any D is really astounding. You'll stoop to all new levels of low, lie, and distort the truth about why Stillwater was in the chit financially.

Unless Schweitzer is powerful enough to influence the strengthening of the US dollar and control the price of precious metals...how the F...did he "run it into the ground"? Those are the reasons its being sold, you're entitled to your opinion, but not your own set of facts.

Maybe next time try reading past the first 2 sentences of the articles you post...and try some comprehension for a nice change.

What a partisan hack you are BHR, your hatred for any D is really astounding. You'll stoop to all new levels of low, lie, and distort the truth about why Stillwater was in the chit financially.

Unless Schweitzer is powerful enough to influence the strengthening of the US dollar and control the price of precious metals...how the F...did he "run it into the ground"? Those are the reasons its being sold, you're entitled to your opinion, but not your own set of facts.

Maybe next time try reading past the first 2 sentences of the articles you post...and try some comprehension for a nice change.

Please Buzz. Bet you didn't know Schweitzer was the chairman of the board for Stillwater. Don't worry Buzz, Brian is going to make out alright, despite making a mess out of Stillwater.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...-merger-stillwater-mining-complete/101306810/

Well then Ben, you should hold the Stillwater Mine pre Schweitzer as a model of mining companies doing things right, while providing jobs and important metals to this country.

My cousin died in the mine. Heart attack. I have my own issues with them, but yeah, they've not run away from their responsibility yet. Howeverm one instance of good behavior doesnt excuse 150 years of citizens having to clean up after industry.

Please Buzz. Bet you didn't know Schweitzer was the chairman of the board for Stillwater. Don't worry Buzz, Brian is going to make out alright, despite making a mess out of Stillwater.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...-merger-stillwater-mining-complete/101306810/

Yeah, I knew that Schweitzer was the chairman, how did that position him to influence the strength of the US dollar and control the price of precious metals? Both the articles you linked said the same thing, a crash in prices, combined with a strengthening US dollar, have negatively impacted Stillwater. That's the trouble with the "rape and run" economy around resource extraction, in particular non-renewables. They're vulnerable to all kinds of market factors, for all kinds of reasons. That's nothing new either, been plaguing Montana's economy for the last couple hundred years...and 20 years from now, you'll get another lesson in same.

You have yet to prove that Schweitzer (who is the chairman, but only one of the board members), "ran Stillwater into the ground"...provide facts or zip it.

This is exactly why nobody on this board can take anything you say seriously, you're a joke, more interested in partisan hackery than dealing with facts.

Yeah, I knew that Schweitzer was the chairman, how did that position him to influence the strength of the US dollar and control the price of precious metals? Both the articles you linked said the same thing, a crash in prices, combined with a strengthening US dollar, have negatively impacted Stillwater. That's the trouble with the "rape and run" economy around resource extraction, in particular non-renewables. They're vulnerable to all kinds of market factors, for all kinds of reasons. That's nothing new either, been plaguing Montana's economy for the last couple hundred years...and 20 years from now, you'll get another lesson in same.

You have yet to prove that Schweitzer (who is the chairman, but only one of the board members), "ran Stillwater into the ground"...provide facts or zip it.

This is exactly why nobody on this board can take anything you say seriously, you're a joke, more interested in partisan hackery than dealing with facts.

Buzz,

You are not the sharpest knife in the drawer so I'll give you some help.

Ever watch the movie Wall Street? Picture Brian and the Clinton Group as Gordon Gecko. Like in the movie, they figured they could make some easy money by taking over control of the mine. Also like in the movie, it didn't work out so well for them.

Why do you give guys with a D a pass, Buzz?

With all due respect, BHR, you want to turn a discussion about the current Secretary of Interior into a bashing of someone now in the private sector.

If you want to defend Zinke, go for it. If you just want to bash Schweitzer, well, carry on.

;)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back