Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho Controlled Hunts

Drew Rifle Elk 45. Any words of wisdom or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Your main issue is going to be access due to private land holdings. Start researching access points using online mapping systems. It's a great tag but you'll have to do some homework for a successful hunt.

brymoore thank you very much for the good advice. I've been curious about that, it's been a while since I've been thru there and was wondering if that could be a problem. I'll start looking at that immediately, and a little farther down the road will make a scouting trip and put some time in.
I'm still new to this whole Forum thing and while technology has clearly passed me by there really is a lot of good people with a wealth of information willing to help.
Seasons are set,plans are being made and the excitement is creeping in. Thanks again and Good Luck

Your main issue is going to be access due to private land holdings. Start researching access points using online mapping systems. It's a great tag but you'll have to do some homework for a successful hunt.

That seems to be the mantra for that unit. What's weird is how good the statistics are. It's not like all of those bulls killed are on private, I'd guess very few of them get access to the big ranches. But I could be wrong.

When you overlay a land ownership layer on GE for that unit, you see how little timber and elk "looking" country there is on public ground. I also have a hard time thinking they are standing out in the open either. Well that's not true, I've seen some herds standing in the open during hunting season behind that big wood entryway arch at Tree Top on the right there. I've always found very little in the way of unit 45 elk success/failure research or stories from DIY guys online, despite OIL draw odds.

I have a question for you twsnow, are you referring to Tree Top Ranch?
If so is there one in 45, I've been past the one on the highway headed to the canyon many times but I think that's somewhere around Parma. It doesn't really matter I was just curious.
I do agree completely that it doesn't look like your typical Elk country, but I do remember hunting the river below Midvale seeing Elk and hearing them bugle daily even though they were on private that is all desert. I guess time will tell, it always does.
Thank you for the feedback. Good luck this season !!!

No. First draw tags can be purchased until today. The second/leftover draw will happen in a few weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back