Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

New Guy

NorCal Hunter

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting back into hunting after a number of years. I grew up in Oregon hunting deer and elk, then moved to San Francisco after graduating from university. If any of you in Northern California are interested in meeting a fellow outdoorsman please feel free to message me. I'm eager to learn more about this region and the hunting/fishing opportunities it offers.

I'll be in Sonoma a bit this summer on DIY pig hunts and OTC deer hunting later this year (most likely in unit b unless i draw x zone tags). Glad to see a forum like this and look forward to learning from all of you.

Best!

Thanks everyone for the welcoming me to the boards. I drew (without any preference points) zone X2 for California Mule Deer this year. This is a premier mule deer unit and I'm very excited to be one of only 17 random draw tag holders. I'd love to learn as much about the unit as possible. Any of you have any experience in this region of CA?

Best!

My first deer

Thanks in part to the advice I received on this forum I harvested my first ever animal--a beautiful mule deer buck up in Modoc County (Northeastern CA). I located and stalked him on day four while still-hunting. I put 20 miles on my new boots and had an amazing time exploring the unit I hunted in. During my hunt I had three amazingly close encounters with coyotes that walked past me without winding me and had a number of other amazing close encounters with animal inhabitants in the unit I hunted.

I must admit that taking this animal's life left me feeling a bit melancholy (it is the first time I have harvested an animal). I spent several minutes--just me and the buck--telling it that none of it would go to waste and how appreciative I am that it will feed me, my wife and friends. I wonder how many of you have experienced similar emotions?

Field dressing, packing and processing the animal was quite a chore especially for the first time, but one I will never complain about. Though I experienced a degree of sadness associated with taking this beautiful animal's life I've decided that hunting will be a life long journey and one that I'm proud to be on.

Just thought I'd share,

IMG_7052.jpg

Hunting culture is better when it's participants are thoughtful and contemplative. It is good that you have filled your first big game tag. It is even better that you have done so while thinking about your place in the natural world.

Congrats on filling your freezer and I will chime in saying that I feel similarly. Respect for the animals we harvest is the difference between a hunter and someone who is just out to kill something.

Welcome from NM.
You have already shown your a considerate participant in the hunting world.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back