Frogg Toggs Ultra-Lite 2 Rain Gear

G. McAlister

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences on using this system for their raingear? Based on what I'm reading it's super light, waterproof and breathable. Right now my thought is to use this system mainly to stay dry while glassing, I'm not sure it could handle the rigors of a stalk through the thick stuff.

I use this. I picked it up for ultralight backpacking, but it finds its way into my hunting bag most of the time. I use it for exactly what you described, glassing sessions or stands in the rain. I don't think it would hold up to brush hikes, and it is pretty noisy. I really like it for what it is.

For the money, there is not a higher performing wp/b membrane out there. You give up features and face fabric technology, but it's pretty darn breathable considering.

I've had a pair for ten years. I have no complaints. However, I live in Idaho which gets minimal rain. The FT's have spent most of its life in my backpack.

I've had a pair for ten years. I have no complaints. However, I live in Idaho which gets minimal rain. The FT's have spent most of its life in my backpack.

I imagine if I purchase a set, they would do the same. Which is why I'm not quite prepared to spend $300 on rain gear. Most of my hunting plans I have are early to mid October in Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado.

I had a friend who bought a set. They are VERY noisy. So much so that he couldn't bear walking in them in the rain. Just walking down a trail, not scratching up against brush or anything like that. He ended up taking them off and just getting wet. They would probably be fine for sitting in the rain glassing though.

I've never had an issue with noise. They'll break in after a few wearing.

Wonderful stuff.
Not only rain but WIND PROOF!
I wear them all the time, damp grass, rain, wind snow, best stuff ever invented.
They hold up to brush just fine, barbed wire fence is another story. If they get ripped I just
Use air duct tape on the inside and there good to go.
With serval camo patterns you can get the type that fits your hunting.
When there new there kinda noise I put them in the dryer on just air for an hour or two
with a pair of tennis shoes , the get a LOT softer.

If these are the same as the ones I have they STINK. I have had them for a couple years, hanging in an open closet and even worn them several times and they have a foul odor to them. Can hardly stand it. Plus they are not very durable, I have one that melted when it got too close to a stove and another that ripped while walking through some branches. If you need a cheap set to throw in your trunk for emergencies, these might suffice, otherwise I would spend a little more.

Exactly, they are cheap and darn near disposable. The difference is you can't get another dirt cheap wp/b that actually breathes halfway decent. Anything comparably priced is a souped up garbage bag.

Sounds crazy but I used to wear them in CO under my hunting pants. They worked great -- I stayed dry and the noise wasn't a factor. In the San Juans it predictably rained every afternoon soaking everything until mid-morning the next day. With a pair of low top gaiters I could stay dry even in a pair of goretex trail running shoes. A good pair of brushed fleece or similar hunting pants dry out quickly so really as soon as the underbrush dried, the FT's went back in the pack. It's a lightweight solution that works well if you're trying to conserve weight and more importantly pack space.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back