Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Roosevelt Scouting Day

Little Big Man MT Chris

Spent 7 hours in the Oregon Coast Range today wanting to better learn one of my areas I get to hunt elk , I went on my first elk hunt in 2014 , I only got to go out 2 days, got on some elk and a friend shot a nice branch bull, i never saw a bull, but had fun , in 2015 I got serious and took the whole season off work , it's a 7 day hunt and got my 1st Rosie a nice big spike , in 2016 I drew a cow tag which I couldn't hunt till this February, and shot my 2nd Roosevelt, i posted pics from that hunt on this forum back in February . Also in 2016 I went out with my dad who's 74 and helped him spotting and guiding and he got a Roosevelt spike when I was with him during his 2nd season Bull tag in a, any antlered bull unit, a most special day for sure . So for 2017 , I will get to chase Roosevelt Bulls again this November for the 7 day 2nd season Coast Hunt with my dad again and a few local friends. Were gonna be hunting a 3 point or better elk unit , it only takes a point to draw so my dad burned his points he'd been saving for a Roosevelt cow hunt , so myself and 2 of his hunting friends could all hunt the 3 point unit together. I've hunted Blacktail in this area the last 2 season and took my 1st Blacktail in the unit in 2015 . my next personal goal for myself is to try to get my 1st Roosevelt Branch Bull this season , so I'm going all in to try to learn every part of this unit I have access to hunt, In hopes that this November we can fill 1 or 2 of our Bull tags , getting more than 2 would be beyond what I could ask. It takes me just over 30 minutes to drive to where I can get into the unit and plan on spending as much time as I can out there this summer. I'm not really looking for Bulls yet , I'm more interested in learning the terrain inside and out, to the best of my ability, but when I do see elk I will stop and take my time to watch them. Today I saw five elk in to different locations, 3 cows 2 calf's, I also saw 2 Blacktails both does, found a 4 point elk shed , in the road I might add , LUCKY!!! I did get to watch an elk calf Brest feed from mom today and that was pretty amazing, a 1st for me , my last elk I saw was at 156 yds today , anyways here are some of the highlights of my 1st day of getting after it for my elk season

IMG_5528.jpg
IMG_5531.jpg
IMG_5532.jpg
IMG_5526.jpg
IMG_5527.jpg
IMG_5525.jpg
IMG_5524.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, man. Roseys and blacktails are on my bucket list. Looking forward to hearing how your fall goes.

Incase you were wondering, the rub in the top of that last tree was made by a really big bull!

Hey Hunttalkers , just got in from the field from an evening scout its june 14th and i was up to my armpits in Elk tonight , it was pretty amazing , I was happily glassing form a nice distance of 500 yards give or take ,have no idea how many elk had to be 40 plus. I saw a couple small branch bulls some spikes at least 6 maybe 7 calves. then by random chance a small cow and a young 3 inch spike walk clear across the cut to 40 yards from the stump im sitting against and feed for 20 plus minutes the cow eventually saw me trotted out to about 50 yards and barked at me for like 5 min non stop then walked little farther away barked one last time and walked off , I caught the last bark on my cell phone, and the cow feeding, plus the little spike walking towards me as the cow was feeding at 40 , the little spike went behind me and caught my smell after the cow busted me ,i heard him run off through the timber behind me , she came back in closer to me at about 40 again and crossed in front of me this time, after she had moved out to 50- 60 when she 1st saw me and started barking , im guessing even thou she saw me, she relaxed and no longer felt threatened , because i made no movement and I stayed still. she waited for the spike to circle below me , then walked back to the main herd , fun night to say the least . Here are some pics and video from my phone , cheers to all from the coast range ,enjoy, also pics where taken with my cell through my binos , its hard but it works , cant afford a spotting scope :hump:

first video is better picture as i had time to zoom my cell phone in because they had no idea i was there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teOt2Tpnq0E part 1 cow comes first
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cxciJr92IE part 1A little spike follows 2nd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvrc281qaeI part 2 cow comes back out

the video below of the cow barking is crappy but audio is good because i was afraid to move and try to zoom in on her because she was agitated at this point with me just sitting there and not moving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygy9aa86hZs cow barks at me

if you look closely behind the bottom cow in first pick you can see 2 calves walking behind her
IMG_5632.jpg
this pic below is the cow and little spike at just under 500 yards before there road trip to me and my stump, this clearcut is 500 yards wide or more by over 1000 yards long, the random chance they cruised all the way to my corner is remarkable, also the elk are the same size makes me think there siblings from 2016 . and thats not his mom. im guessing mom ran them off to have this years calf. so these two are 14 or 15 months old and still running together this summer ?? im still learning about elk. but that's my thoughts now after reflection and watching the videos several times
IMG_5633.jpgIMG_5634.jpgIMG_5636.jpgIMG_5637.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff. Congrats on a successful scouting adventure. I'm heading up that way in November as well for my first chance at a roosevelt. Good luck to you.

Looks awesome. I live in NY (upstate)
Sister moved to Portland a few years ago and constantly asks me to visit. We reached and agreement... if/when income to visit, i get a few days to hunt elk. Is there a decenr amount of state land out there? Im sure I'll be just hiking a lot, but you never know!

Looks awesome. I live in NY (upstate)
Sister moved to Portland a few years ago and constantly asks me to visit. We reached and agreement... if/when income to visit, i get a few days to hunt elk. Is there a decent amount of state land out there? Im sure I'll be just hiking a lot, but you never know!

there is a good chunk of state land in the coast range, lots of hiking trails, i buy a yearly permit to hunt on timber property owned by a huge company. they sell a limited number of passes to the public now for the past 3 seasons.that my orange permit pass in my truck window in the shed pic. all of my pictures were taken on my permit property, Roosevelt Elk and Blacktails are both OTC tags. i live 35 to 40 min from downtown Portland. all my pics where taken roughly just an hr outside of Portland

Last edited:
Peaked around at Oregon Coastal Elk myself last two weeks..

(Before anyone feels like they have to ask, yes these are Wild, no the land isn't private. Photos taken 6/14 of this year.) Sorry for the photo quality.

I feel tempted to put in for an Oregon hunt or two in the coming years. But for this season, I'm committed to resident Idaho OTC.

- Joseph
relk1.jpg

relk2.jpg

relk3.jpg

It's time !!!! It's the eve of 2nd rifle season for Roosevelt Elk in Oregon , I spent the day out scouting found 2 herds the first was to far to make antlers, I don't own a spotting scope but took note of there location, the last one I almost walked in had maybe 30 head in it , I was under 300 yards which was way closer than I wanted to be , I wasn't busted saw a branch bull in the group , and quickly backed out , it was about 2 hrs before sunset, going in with a headlamp before sunrise to stage close by and try to relocate the herd , I'm in a 3 point or better unit this season , my hunt is 7 days ends at sunset on Black Friday, I will try post a pic or 2 each day if possible, will be hunting from home most days or a camp we have halfway from home and our unit , dad has a tag also . ive only been hunting elk since 2014 , I've taken 2 elk since then , 1 spike 1 cow , going after my 1st branch antlered Roosevelt, SUCCESS OR TAG SOUP ???? stay tuned

View attachment 76883IMG_6650.jpgIMG_6645.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck man!!! My Dad shot this nice bull Sunday of first season in the saddle mtn unit 4FF38AED-47AC-44E5-ADF9-4878C91C1B77.jpg

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back