Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Roosevelt Scouting Day

Was able to fill my tag on opening day , today It was luck more than skill , my dad and his friends got on this elk around 1pm , I was about 35 min away in a different part of our unit, i headed over to try to help relocate the elk and help search , they jumped the bull a second time above me in the timber , I was in a clear cut watching the whole hillside , it ran right out of the timber right to me , I shot him at 50 yards, feeling very blessed tonight , also getting to share this moment with my dad on my 1st Roosevelt branch bull was extra special
IMG_6690.jpgIMG_6691.jpgIMG_6689.jpgIMG_6692.jpg

As he lay , u can see the big timber in the background he came out of
IMG_6693.jpgIMG_6695.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a tough hunt.How do you hunt them?Do you just sit and glass clearcuts.I really want to try and hunt oug there in that terrain for blacktail or rosie.Can NR get the tag otc?

Looks like a tough hunt.How do you hunt them?Do you just sit and glass clearcuts.I really want to try and hunt oug there in that terrain for blacktail or rosie.Can NR get the tag otc?

Ya , OTC for Blacktail and Rosie's, I'll send u a pm over the weekend after elk season ends Friday , dad still has a tag , trying to help get him on an elk

That’s awesome Chris! Congratulations. That’s no easy hunt. Glad it came together for you.

Hey bud, great job and congratulations! I know you put a lot of time in and it's always nice to see effort rewarded.
Great pics by the way... love the leg in the sideview

Roosevelt Rifle Season came to an end today , a wild week of highs and lows like most hunts , and a lot of great memories, I was unsuccessful in helping dad get a bull , we got into several herds throughout the week , but couldn't turn up a 3 point or better bull for pops to get in his scope , came close but it wasn't ment to be , that was the only bummer of the week for me. One of my dads friends in our group was able to get a 4 point bull this week , we were on the other side of the mountain out of cell and radio range , so I don't have any picks from the field . It was in the truck and coming down the mountain when we came back into cell range , I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the kind words and shoutouts , made me smile throughout the week as I was out with dad trying to find him an elk . Here's the 2nd Roosevelt Bull from the past week , in the head picture , my bulls on the right
IMG_6718.jpgIMG_6719.jpgIMG_6717.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome work Bud. I hunted the powers for 9 days. Saw 52 elk with 3 spikes. I just couldn't turn up a branch antlered bull. Definitely a different kind of hunting then I'm use too but now has lite a fire under my ass. I will be heading back soon but during the archery season. Congrats again and I know you worked for that one.

Awesome work Bud. I hunted the powers for 9 days. Saw 52 elk with 3 spikes. I just couldn't turn up a branch antlered bull. Definitely a different kind of hunting then I'm use too but now has lite a fire under my ass. I will be heading back soon but during the archery season. Congrats again and I know you worked for that one.

Ya , most of my friends hunt them with a bow also, i just got a bow last summer starting to learn, i would like to get a Roosevelt with a bow someday, working towards that. you will see bulls for sure during archery season , wish you all the best in your pursuit of a Roosevelt bull

Back