Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting License and Tag Override Wilderness Permit?

WBouldin

A buddy raised a question today that took me by surprise. Does a valid license and tag overrule the need for a Wilderness permit? I was trying to look up the answer but the forest services website is down.

No way. Forest Service and wilderness are Federal. License and tag are state. Being that hunting seasons are generally in the fall, they may only have summer restrictions. Best to call the Forest Service.

California is a whole different animal with its crazy restrictions so I would call about the area you want to hunt and get the info, make sure you ask for a supervisor and not take the word of the front desk person... they will likely won't know anything about hunting. I know the Indian peaks in CO requires permits in peak summer but not during hunting season, further while they say all dogs on leash on the signs when I called the forest service they said it's recommended but nowhere on FS land in the state do you have to have a dog on leash including wilderness (I was curious about upland hunting). Typically when dealing with regulations in the gray area I get the person at the government office to send me an email and I print it out and pack it in case I get any trouble.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back