Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

High altitude fire starter?

So here is my plan for next year. A bic and some dryer lint vacuum sealed for emergency and another bic and cope can full of dryer lint for non emergencies

My cheap-o bic lighters outperform the fancy torch that always runs out of fuel and desire to work when I need it. It looks cool lighting a heater but that's about it.
I carry a couple of them since they weigh nothing and cost next to nothing so odds are 1 will always be dry. If I really need to get a fire started I'll do a blue darter.

I bot something called Quickfire at a trade show. The guy dunked it in water and then lit it while it was floating. I fell for it and bot a package.
Supposedly 100% waterproof, non toxic with a 10 min burn time. Now, about that bic lighter..... and my merit badge...

Reminds of a comment some old guy once told me years ago. The 3 things everyone tells you they can do: Coach, drive a car and start a fire.

The wet fire stuff is really good. A lot easier to pack than a road flare. I keep a couple of them in my emergency kit in my backpack. I can't remember where I bought mine, but I think it was just in the camping section of some big box store (Academy, Cabelas, or something like that).

Let's see, 3 of the wetfire cubes weigh 2 oz. and take up maybe 2 cubic inches of space. 3 road flares weigh 2 pounds and are 16" long. Which would I want to take on a backpacking trip?

Let's see, 3 of the wetfire cubes weigh 2 oz. and take up maybe 2 cubic inches of space. 3 road flares weigh 2 pounds and are 16" long. Which would I want to take on a backpacking trip?

I was thinking the same thing. There's a ton of viable lightweight options that will fit in a shirt pocket

15 minute flare, not a 45 minute fusee.. But, you knock yourself out. If I'm looking at things going sideways on a Montana mountain in November, I'm not fooling around when building a fire.

The problem with the bic lighter isn't the lighter itself getting wet so vacuum sealing or carrying many lighters doesn't help. The problem is that if you are in the rain a long time your hands get water logged. When you spin the bic lighter striker with a waterlogged thumb water squeezes out and onto the striker. When that happens you can't get a spark.

You only have to have this happen once to realize what a bad idea these lighters are...

The problem with the bic lighter isn't the lighter itself getting wet so vacuum sealing or carrying many lighters doesn't help. The problem is that if you are in the rain a long time your hands get water logged. When you spin the bic lighter striker with a waterlogged thumb water squeezes out and onto the striker. When that happens you can't get a spark.

You only have to have this happen once to realize what a bad idea these lighters are...

That's why I like my cigar torch lighter. A bottle of butane weighs ounces and packs away small if need be. I've never had one fail no matter the weather or altitude.

High altitude fire starter ? I'm going with a heater from an MRE because airlines believe it will start a fire and they prohibit them onboard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back