Savage 11 in 6.5 Creedmoor, Thoughts?

dcopas78

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger, so to speak, on a Savage 11 6.5 Creedmoor. Every Savage I've ever shot has been a tack driver, and I love every one I have. That being said, I haven't had any dealings with the lightweight model 11/111 that they offer. I'm really in to building up a collection of lightweight firearms right now, and this is next on my list. What can I say, I like guns :D Has anyone had any experience with this model?

Derek

I have a wood stocked lightweight hunter in 260 and I really like it. Accuracy is pretty good and nice to carry. My only real complaint is the bolt isn't the smoothest compared to most other manufacturers. Just picked up another one in 243, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I'm sure it'll shoot just as good as the 260. These guns never really caught on, I've seen quite a few of them for sale way under MSRP, both the wood stocked and composite versions.

I just bought a model 16 lightweight last week in the 6.5 still putting the gun together right now but in a few weeks I should have some info. So far just messing with the new gun I think I'm gonna love this thing. I think my whole set up will be under 6.5 pounds. From what I've read about the round can't wait to try it out. I also noticed the bolt being somewhat rough. This is the only complaint I've found so far. I think once the rifle is broken in that will iron itself out. Not a deal breaker for me though considering all the other great stuff the rifle has. I found a great deal on mine in the dark earth stock.

Last edited:
Excellent! Just the kind of info I'm looking for. I'm really excited to try out the 6.5 since I have heard a lot of positives about it.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger, so to speak, on a Savage 11 6.5 Creedmoor. Every Savage I've ever shot has been a tack driver, and I love every one I have. That being said, I haven't had any dealings with the lightweight model 11/111 that they offer. I'm really in to building up a collection of lightweight firearms right now, and this is next on my list. What can I say, I like guns :D Has anyone had any experience with this model?

Derek

Just bought one myself and will be shooting it this weekend for the first time - will report back

We recently bought a 111 in .300WM. Eight pounds, MOA accurate, ugly as sin. We love it. Have a couple Stevens 200 rifles as well. All of them have been great.

I know a couple guys that have this rifle. They have some nice optics and have no problem with a paper-plate at 500 yards. Seems like a winner to me.

Iv got the 6.5 savage stealth. Love the gun makes 500 yard shots easy and 6.5 creed is probably my favorite caliber ever would shoot anything elk sized and down. Only problem I have with the savage light mod is it is not as light as others but its lots cheaper. Before you make final decision I suggest holding a Kimber hunter its a new gun from kimber very light weight and made to be more economical but still has kimber quality. I want one but spending all my money on hunts this year.

I have the Savage Lightweight in 260 Rem, very similar to the 6.5 Creedmoor, it's a great rifle and very accurate for that light skinny barrel. I use Nosler 120 ballistic tip handloads and it stays under MOA, sometimes well under. As to your caliber choice,thumbs-up (small).jpg

I've got a model 11 in 6.5 CM and it being my 2nd rifle in that cartridge, I assumed it would like the same ammo that I fed the first.... needless to say, I was wrong. While my first rifle was fairly indiscriminate about what it liked, it preferred the 140s slightly over the 120s. My savage on the other hand likes the 120s almost exclusively. I'm not sure if it's a short throat from the factory but it only seems to group well with the 120gr ELD-M and the 120gr GMX. Try several different weights of bullets and I'm sure you'll find something it likes.

Last edited:
Iv got the 6.5 savage stealth. Love the gun makes 500 yard shots easy and 6.5 creed is probably my favorite caliber ever would shoot anything elk sized and down. Only problem I have with the savage light mod is it is not as light as others but its lots cheaper. Before you make final decision I suggest holding a Kimber hunter its a new gun from kimber very light weight and made to be more economical but still has kimber quality. I want one but spending all my money on hunts this year.

I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent in .300 WSM. I still have to break it in...it's nice having a wife that loves guns and shooting as much as I do!

I've got a model 11 in 6.5 CM and it being my 2nd rifle in that cartridge, I assumed it would like the same ammo that I fed the first.... needless to say, I was wrong. While my first rifle was fairly indiscriminate about what it liked, it preferred the 140s slightly over the 120s. My savage on the other hand likes the 120s almost exclusively. I'm not sure if it's a short throat from the factory but it only seems to group well with the 120gr ELD-M and the 120gr GMX. Try several different weights of bullets and I'm sure you'll find something it likes.

Thanks for the advice. I'm anxious to try the caliber.

I have the savage model 16 lightweight hunter in 6.5 Creedmoore. I bought it last year and have put about 150 rounds through it. Gun feels great in my hands. The action was a little rough at first but it seems to be smoothing out. The action will probably be even smoother after I put a couple hundred rounds through it. It has taken some time working up the hand loads but I'm now consistently getting less than 1" groups with 5 shots at 100 yards.
I also have a model 11 in .223 that I'm getting 0.5" groups with.
Overall it is a good gun. I have found it isn't as easy to shoot tight groups from a bench with a light gun but much easier to pack in the mountains than my 338 lapua.

I got out on the range a minute this weekend with the Model 16 6.5 and my first impression is I'm gonna love this little gun. Scope and all I am at 6lbs. 11 oz. Plan on getting out again one morning this week. With factory ammo I was well under an inch at 100 no complaints here with the gun. Feels good looks good and shoots good.

I'm looking at one of these for my little boys first elk gun. I've got a Savage 16 Weather Warrior in 270 WSM that is laser accurate. I picked it up on gunbroker for pretty cheap. Put a Viper HD scope on it and bedded and re-enforced the stock. I've owned 2 Savages, and had close friend and family that have had them as well, and everyone Ive known have all said they are extremely accurate. Hard to understand why people pay twice the price for a factory rifle that's not nearly as accurate

I've had multiple 110's, a 116, 16, 111, and a hog hunter 308 and 223. They all shoot lights out sub Moa. Best group out of the .223 was .25 sub moa one ragged hole. I cleaned out the safe and shoot tikka now, I reload for it and shoot .60 with bergers. My 25-06 shot .38 factory groups with corelokts 110gr. Can't go wrong with savages. Like stated above the bolt on tikkas are way smother but for the price and out of the box gun, savage has it going on!

Last edited:
I really enjoy this little gun here are some pics from the range this morning. Factory hornady ammo at 100yds. Cold barrel group was 5/8" after barrel was hot still shot sub moa.KINDLE_CAMERA_1496388019000.jpgKINDLE_CAMERA_1496388041000.jpgKINDLE_CAMERA_1496388662000.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back