Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

rebarreling for a 35 rem

VAspeedgoat

I really have a fascination right now to have a 35 remington in a 7600 pump. My question is, can I just rebarrel and go or will there be some issues. I figure it needs a different clip but as I understand it the receiver is the same for short or long action and the rim diameter is close to a 308/30-06. I would like to have a shortened length of pull, and 18" barrel amd some sort of low power wide angle scope.

Thoughts?
Also I would take scope suggestions.

How much different is the 760 vs 7600. I can find a few 760 around in .35 but figured I'd be better off going with a newer gun. Since a 7600 in .35 is pretty scarce I though about rebarreling. What's the lowdown on those older guns.

Well, never mind. I see the 760 was chambered in 35 Remington so it is possible, although you would need to modify the magazine & bolt.

Last edited:
How much different is the 760 vs 7600. I can find a few 760 around in .35 but figured I'd be better off going with a newer gun. Since a 7600 in .35 is pretty scarce I though about rebarreling. What's the lowdown on those older guns.
I wouldn't sweat it not being "newer". Not too many people shoot out a 35 Rem.

Excellent point. Maybe im better off saving some money and just have the barrel cut and recrowned and have the but stock cut down a bit. Lets face it, for what I'm wanting, minute of milk jug would shoot well enough.

I think the 7600 is going to have a free floating barrel and be more accurate. If I was dead set on a 35 Remington, I would try to find some online friends in Michigan or Pennsylvania willing to hit up some local pawn shops. Or there will be one on GunBroker within 60 days.

If you want to go with a new barrel and make your rifle a switch barrel here's a link to the Lumley bracket.

http://www.lumleyarms.com/7600--7615

I already have a 358 so my next gun is probably going to be a 7600 rebored to 9.3X62 by JES. I'm just waiting on the right gun to come along when I have the funds. If you reload there's a incredible amount of options with a 35 caliber.

If you really want a 760 in 35Rem I would hit some of the bigger gun shows in Pennsylvania. Pumps have always been popular in PA and you see lots of them for sale at the gun shows.

I really have a fascination right now to have a 35 remington in a 7600 pump. My question is, can I just rebarrel and go or will there be some issues. I figure it needs a different clip but as I understand it the receiver is the same for short or long action and the rim diameter is close to a 308/30-06. I would like to have a shortened length of pull, and 18" barrel amd some sort of low power wide angle scope.

Thoughts?
Also I would take scope suggestions.

VA I m a huge 35 rem guy myself. I have shot a chit load of deer with. I will argue all day it might be the best cartridge for pure woods hunting. I love it. I will say this though. When I was building my rifle ( 358 win ) it was going to be a 35 rem. I honestly decided not to go 35 rem simply because I would have to push it harder than I wanted to get the velocity I was looking for. So I went with 358 which made more sense as I can make all my brass, there's a dozen factory loadings for it right now though the smaller ammo companies and its not short on power for the bigger stuff at 350 - 400 if need be. With all that said I agree with others if you look around a good ole Rem 760 in 35 Rem can be had. I would do that before a rebore my self. As for scopes I prefer a lower power variable if possible. I m running a bigger scope than I wanted to currently on my 358. Reason being its actually going to land on my 30-06 once I can get the scope I was really looking for. AT any rate 35 Rem is a great cartridge and the 358 is just a little more.

Cheers

I thunked some thought on this one. Gave it some 'huuummm' time while I was walking patrol on graveyard duty. 1st, let me say your choice of the 35 Rem is right where I was a couple of decades ago. Great whitetail/black bear/pig rifle. Never got the recognition it deserves. I had one... Loved the cartridge, not so much the Marlin 336. Traded if off for a 12' Jon boat and electric motor.

But, I see some issues with the re-barrel idea.

The 35 Rem has a rim dia. of only .460, that won't work with any other cartridge the 7600 was offered in. It will cost $$$ to get past that, and it alone stops the project in my mind.

Better off to just find a 35 Rem.

OOORRRRRRR, get a shot out .308 and re-bore to a 338 Fed, or 358 Win. $225 to JES & back.

Nobody sez you have to stoke it up full throttle.

I saw an old Remington model 14 in 35Rem at a gun show in Pennsylvania today. Just another idea for you

After giving this thread more careful consideration, I believe that this is the correct response. Get a vintage classic, clean it up, maybe refinish the stock and go hunt.

Those pre-war guns were hand fitted and put together by craftsmen. The newer 7600 will not have that kind of detail or finery.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back