Wild Turkey Recipie

Cmbrown337

Just looking for some recipies for wild Turkey breast. Pleas share if you have tried any good ones over the years. Thanks.

I just replace it for chicken breast in most recipes and it seems to work ok...can be a little dry if you're not careful about cooking times. I tend to stay away from grilling or roasting unless I've done a brine but that goes for all poultry.

Turkey Parmesan....Cut breast into 1/4-1/2 thick cutlet/steak. Pound with meat mallet or bottom of heavy pan until thin. season with a little salt, pepper, thyme, basil, possibly sage. dip in beaten egg, then coat with panko bread or italian crumbs. fry in a bit of oil until golden brown. Serve on noodles with a slice of provolone and smothered in a nice marinara

Chicken Fried Turkey...follow above direction except stick with salt, pepper, & garlic powder as seasoning. Serve with white gravy and mashed potatoes or hashbrowns.

Slice it into strips and marinade it in italian dressing for a couple days. Then grill it and serve it over a bed of brown rice and stir fry veggies.

You can never go wrong with soaking it in apple cider and then a nice dry rub with bacon strips over it and put it in the smoker. Pull it out a little bit before temperature and wrap it tight in foil to finish cooking.

Last edited:
I usually cut it into golf ball sized chunks, marinate in Italian, wrap in bacon, and throw it on the grill. It's very tasty.

This year I pounded the meat thin and made schnitzel out of it, following the recipe on the Meateater site. It was nice to change things up and turned out very good.

I've made Turkey a la King using just a generic recipe that turned out really good.

Lately we've taken to grinding most of our turkeys. I like making turkey burgers with a Mexican twist - mix garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and chili powder with the meat. Patty and grill, and top burger with pepper jack cheese, avocado, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and ranch dressing.

Also have a meatball recipe -1 lb. ground turkey, 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese, one grated green apple, 1/2 c. dried cranberries, one egg, onion powder and pepper. Mix it all together, make your meatballs and cook them. It was originally a slow cooker recipe, but I like to cook them slow in a pan on the stove top so you get a little caramelization to the outside. This is one of my all-time favorite turkey recipes.

I fix it in a crock pot, like turkey stew. Potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, chicken broth, chicken noodle soup seasoning mix cooked all day.

This one is pretty good. I also have been known to put breasts and legs in a crock pot on low with some poultry seasoning for about 4 hours. Then shred it and make turkey salad with walnuts,apples,celery,onions,rasins,some mayo, a pinch of salt a little mustard and mayo. Turkey salad sandwiches make amazing hunting lunch.

1 medium butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil $
3 tablespoons butter, divided and melted
Sea salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 shallots, minced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour $
2 cups chicken broth
4 cups shredded cooked turkey
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage (or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage)
1/3 cup half-and-half
1 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
Egg wash (1 large egg beaten with 2 tablespoons milk) $
Garnish: Fresh sage
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°. Toss squash with olive oil and 1 tablespoon melted butter; add sea salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a lightly greased foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring once.

2. Add remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter to a large nonstick skillet, and cook shallot and mushrooms over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 10 to 12 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed. Add flour, and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 to 4 minutes or until brown. Slowly whisk in broth, and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly.

3. Stir in turkey, sage, and additional sea salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until thick and creamy. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Stir in baked squash and half-and-half.

4. Roll puff pastry on a lightly floured surface, and cut 6 rounds slightly larger than the top of a 10-ounce custard cup. Fill 6 lightly greased cups with turkey mixture, and place pastry over dishes, allowing any excess to drape over the side. Brush with egg wash, and chill at least 1 hour.

5. Preheat oven to 350°. Cut several slits into top of pies, and place on baking sheets. Garnish, if desired, and brush with egg wash.

6. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until pastry has puffed and is golden brown.

I like to do a stew in the crock pot or if I'm not busy I'll make jerky in the smoker. Just use your favorite venison jerky recipe, you'll love how it comes out.

Just listen to these guys. Hank Shaw is the man... Here's one I tried that came out amazing. Most tender and moist turkey I've ever had.

http://honest-food.net/wild-turkey-breast-recipe-poached/

I can't wait for his small game cookbook to be released. Every single recipe I have used from "Buck, Buck, Moose" and his website has been knock-your-socks-off good! On his website there is a whole section dedicated to upland birds (quail, turkey, pheasant, etc) and turkey can be substituted for any.

Grind. Then they turn into tacos. Disappears with my teenager. That's no a glowing recommendation of the food, more of a comment on teenage boys.

Man I hope I don't offend anyone here because if you like it, YOU LIKE IT!

Once you have a flavor profile you like (Italian, Mexican, etc) Then you can play around with different techniques.

My HANDS-DOWN favorite technique for wild turkey breast meat is Sous Vide.

Basically, it's just a small "hot tub" for bagged food.

I season my turkey, wrap it in bacon, bag it up and cook it for about 2 hours at 145 deg. Then pop it under the broiler til the bacon is crispy. I sliced it about 2 inches thick and you could cut it easily with a fork! Far juicier than a "butterball" too!

I serve this to die-hard "city folk" and they rave about it!

A sous vide machine used to be WAY WAY too expensive, but the model I use is about $80.

I use it for backstrap, venison "roast beef", pheasant, duck, goose... you name it! Makes everything PERFECT!

Attachments

• SOUSVIDETURKEY.JPG
    SOUSVIDETURKEY.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 495
  • SOUSVIDEMACHINE.JPG
    SOUSVIDEMACHINE.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 485
  • Sousvideroastbeef.JPG
    Sousvideroastbeef.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 495
  • Sousvidestrap.JPG
    Sousvidestrap.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 503
Man I hope I don't offend anyone here because if you like it, YOU LIKE IT!

Once you have a flavor profile you like (Italian, Mexican, etc) Then you can play around with different techniques.

My HANDS-DOWN favorite technique for wild turkey breast meat is Sous Vide.

Basically, it's just a small "hot tub" for bagged food.

I season my turkey, wrap it in bacon, bag it up and cook it for about 2 hours at 145 deg. Then pop it under the broiler til the bacon is crispy. I sliced it about 2 inches thick and you could cut it easily with a fork! Far juicier than a "butterball" too!

I serve this to die-hard "city folk" and they rave about it!

A sous vide machine used to be WAY WAY too expensive, but the model I use is about $80.

I use it for backstrap, venison "roast beef", pheasant, duck, goose... you name it! Makes everything PERFECT!

I have never thought to use my sous vide for turkey breast! Thanks, I usually make soup out of the slow cooked and shredded breast meat or crisp it after shredded in a pan for tacos.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back