White Mountain Carbine

kurtm2323

Does anyone have any experience with Thompson Centers White Mountain Carbine? I picked one up in a store a few months ago and fell in love with it's short 22' barrel. Hopefully hunting mulies with a Muzzleloader this fall and it seems like the perfect rifle to haul around the mountains. Thanks!

I used one for years hunting whitetails. It was fine in the 100 yd range digesting roundballs and bullets, however, it needed a trigger job, the factory setting was probably 7lbs with lots of travel. I had a smith lighten to 4lbs and shorten travel.

That is one thing I noticed I didn't particularly like about it, but that is easily fixable. Thanks!

I've been around a few throughout the years and as I recall all were decent shooters. I can't remember exact loads but like Slam stated it's probably a 100 yard gun. Congrats on a nice find.

I have 3 side-lock TC's; the .50 carbine, .50 renegade, and .45 Hawken. I've shot a couple of animals with the carbine, a bunch more with the renegade. A problem I had with the TC barrels is that corrosion can wreak havoc on the shallow rifling, which is why buying a used blackpowder gun can be a crapshoot. I had to replace the barrel on my renegade (with short Green Mountain barrel), and once I did it was basically the same length as the carbine. And since I had a better sight on the renegade, and I liked the set trigger better, I rarely used the carbine after that. I mostly shot 370 grn maxiballs with 90 grains pyrodex out of both guns, and they shot reasonably well until my eyesight went downhill. Then tried mounting scopes on both sidelocks, which is a pain, eventually bought a new inline.

I've had a WMC flintlock for a long time. I was never very successful in my younger years with it because I honestly didn't put in the time shooting it. Now it's one of my favorite guns to shoot. I settled on the Hornady Great Plains bullets and havent had to track any of the PA lateseason whitetails very far at all. I've actually been keeping my eyes peeled for another but the flinters are very hard to come by.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I plan on using the great plains bullets as well! Officially drew a tag in Colorado for high country Mulies so will hopefully have success out there.

+1 on what GUTSHOTEM said.............Hornady GP in 385 grains are nice soft lead with a deeper hollow point than the TC Maxi ball or Maxi hunter.
With these heavy bullets in my old TC Thunderhawk or New Englanders the deer were usually found on the ground once the smoke cleared.
Once the sabot BS (madness) started I had to shoot 240 XTP Hornady`s (why.....why...why)
Anyway I shot lots of Powerbelts and did not get any blood trails.
Your WM Carbine should be a very fast 1-21" twist and can shoot anything.just stay under 90 grains of BP
I have seen a couple crack where the works meets the wood on the lock side of the gun.

10DOGS

Agree with above. I have a .54 that I put a tang site on. I have switched to Great Plains from Powerbelts as well. A nice light muzzleloader but mine is only a 100 yard gun for sure even with the tang sight.

What tang site did you go with?

I got the Thompson/Center tang sight off of EBay about 10 years ago. The tang had to be drilled and tapped for it. Nice sight but looking at EBay now they seem to have gone up quite a bit.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back