PEAX Equipment

Wyoming Antelope Unit Help

Doe tags don't use points. But if the demand is high in a unit it will run out of tags before the demand is met.
To check for your draw odds on anything in Wyoming, go to (demand reports) and look for the quota numbers verses the first choice applicants. Some antelope units have leftovers and can then be drawn in the leftover tag drawing this summer. Any tags that are left after that draw go on sale as first come basis.
Look hard at antelope units 22 and 23. Plenty of BLM to hunt, but it is not super easy access or many large bucks.

I plan on getting a leftover tag in 22 and hunting the first few days of rifle season this fall.
Hopefully this helps. Better hurry up!
Good luck.

Looks like I'll be doing the same thing, I've never stepped foot in the unit, but after my buddies dropping out last minute for the umpteenth time, I said screw it applied for 22 as a 2nd choice and decided to just go hunting.

If you don't mind me asking what's the difference?

It can vary by unit, but for 113 it looks like the difference is just in the dates of the hunt. A type 1 opens Oct. 1 and, in the past, it has not been able to be drawn as a 1st choice with 0 points, let alone as a 2nd or 3rd choice. A type 2 opens Oct. 11 and could possibly be drawn as a 2nd choice in the past, if you were lucky.

It can vary by unit, but for 113 it looks like the difference is just in the dates of the hunt. A type 1 opens Oct. 1 and, in the past, it has not been able to be drawn as a 1st choice with 0 points, let alone as a 2nd or 3rd choice. A type 2 opens Oct. 11 and could possibly be drawn as a 2nd choice in the past, if you were lucky.

Exactly, that's why I asked. Hopefully you get unit 20 or you may be scrambling to buy a left over tag, if there are any.

I went on DYI maps and looked for units​ that we're 100% draw and no points required. Then looked at how much BLM the unit had. I'm basically throwing darts at a map and hoping for the best. The way I hunt is the experience the meat then the horns Into that order.

Good luck on the draw. If you do get to go out and chase antelope in units with less than stellar public land, don't forget to keep an eye on state sections that are open to hunting. I shot my first antelope on a state land section, 25 yards off the road. Sometimes you just have to get lucky and be driving to/from/near the state section where there happens to be antelope at that moment. Not as exciting as ranging across vast landscapes looking for that perfect buck, but that's how it goes.

I wrote down the proposed date that the leftover tag sales start, but have unfortunately misplaced it.
Can anyone say if they know when Wyoming leftover drawing is this summer?
Thinking it is in July.

I wrote down the proposed date that the leftover tag sales start, but have unfortunately misplaced it.
Can anyone say if they know when Wyoming leftover drawing is this summer?
Thinking it is in July.

Results of the initial draw will be posted no later than 6/22
Second draw application period is from 6/22-7/6
Second drawing is on 7/13

A 5 day period will be plenty long enough, I would think. But, it will sure keep a guy on his toes if he wants to put in.
I think I like that better than everyone applying all at once hoping your internet is faster than the other guys.

I applied for units 101, 113 and 20. Unit 113 and 20 are 100% draw. Is the second drawing for people who did not draw the first time or for an extra Buck tag or for doe tags. And if it's only 5 days the draw would be on 6/28? Am I correct on this?

Results of the initial draw will be posted no later than 6/22
Second draw application period is from 6/22-7/6
Second drawing is on 7/13

Just when I think I understand the Wyoming system I read something else that confuses me. Perhaps someone can answer this for me, is the leftover draw just for leftovers in general? Or say there's a unit with 100 tags, 60 go to the regular, and 40 to the special and 65 people apply for the regular and 2 for the special. Do the remaining 38 special tags become leftover tags for the leftover draw? Or do 5 of those tags go to the 5 guys who would have been unsuccessful in the regular draw and the remaining 33 become leftovers?

I applied for units 101, 113 and 20. Unit 113 and 20 are 100% draw. Is the second drawing for people who did not draw the first time or for an extra Buck tag or for doe tags. And if it's only 5 days the draw would be on 6/28? Am I correct on this?

113-1 is not a 100% draw, so you won't draw it as a 2nd or 3rd choice. There is a good chance you'll get your Unit 20 tag, though. Good luck!

Just when I think I understand the Wyoming system I read something else that confuses me. Perhaps someone can answer this for me, is the leftover draw just for leftovers in general? Or say there's a unit with 100 tags, 60 go to the regular, and 40 to the special and 65 people apply for the regular and 2 for the special. Do the remaining 38 special tags become leftover tags for the leftover draw? Or do 5 of those tags go to the 5 guys who would have been unsuccessful in the regular draw and the remaining 33 become leftovers?

MSL:

I think you are close. I knew this stuff cold a while back but with all the states I can't keep it straight. If I recall correctly the "Special tags" are drawn first, so that in your scenario the 38 remaining special tags would be allocated to the regular or "full price" tags for a total of 138. If there are only 65 apps for the regular draw then there will be 73 leftover tags. However if there were 140 applicants there would be no leftover tags.

Don't get too twisted up about leftovers. Because of the re allocation of tags thru the process there is no way to calculate the NR Antelope tag quotas available at the moment the "NR public" draw their tags.
Res landowners and residents draw first, leftovers get pooled and added to initial NR quota then NR landowners draw. In theory, NR landowners could draw every NR tag for a given unit leaving zero tags for the special and regular NR draws.

Back