Wyoming Antelope Unit Help

Bowaddic

I need some help picking 3 units. I am a nonresident with no points. The unit and point system are very new to me. I figure i have to start somewhere. I will be a solo hunter looking for my first antelope, i'm primarily a meat hunter but i do like a good set of horns. I do not have big expectations just love to hunt. I don't mind hiking or packing. Any help would be appreciated. I was thinking of picking some units around 91. I spoke to the Wyoming office today the guy told me to pick a unit with lots of yellow on there web site map. Any thoughts? Thanks

With zero points your best bet is to look at the draw odds pick at unit with 100% success rate and then try to figure out how to access the public in that unit. Accessing the public in any unit that is 100% for 0 points will be a bit tricky. That said you will a ton this season about access and hunting antelope and when you do have some points will be well prepared.

If you indeed think you will continue to hunt WY I would put in for a doe tag and shoot for the moon on your first choice like 67 or and try to find a unit with super high success for a second choice. That way you get a point and still get out in the field.

I drove through 91 last year and there was no shortage of great bucks there. I'm not sure how the winter was on them, though. You are going to need some dang good luck to draw any of those units unless you have a slug of points, so if you want to put in for one of them, be sure to find a leftover unit for a second choice if you want to be hunting antelope this fall. Zero points will not get you a unit with a lot of yellow, but it can get you a unit with just enough yellow to have a fun hunt.

You're really cutting it close. I 2nd the doe tag idea. Good luck with whatever you decide, it's a fun hunt.

Those units are great, but they take some points to draw unless you don't mind hunting does. I drew a doe tag in unit 90 two years ago with 0 points. Units with lots of yellow are generally harder to draw. There are units with enough public and decent access that can be drawn with 0 points, you just gotta be mindful of boundaries and potentially solve some access issues.

Those units are great, but they take some points to draw unless you don't mind hunting does. I drew a doe tag in unit 90 two years ago with 0 points. Units with lots of yellow are generally harder to draw. There are units with enough public and decent access that can be drawn with 0 points, you just gotta be mindful of boundaries and potentially solve some access issues.

I always thought that "doe tags" were NOT dependent on points. Maybe I am wrong.

good luck to all
the dog

With zero points your best bet is to look at the draw odds pick at unit with 100% success rate and then try to figure out how to access the public in that unit.

But you might want to do that before you apply.

Doe tags don't use points. But if the demand is high in a unit it will run out of tags before the demand is met.
To check for your draw odds on anything in Wyoming, go to (demand reports) and look for the quota numbers verses the first choice applicants. Some antelope units have leftovers and can then be drawn in the leftover tag drawing this summer. Any tags that are left after that draw go on sale as first come basis.
Look hard at antelope units 22 and 23. Plenty of BLM to hunt, but it is not super easy access or many large bucks.

I plan on getting a leftover tag in 22 and hunting the first few days of rifle season this fall.
Hopefully this helps. Better hurry up!
Good luck.

The guy i talked to at Fish and Game said they added a new unit this year unit 101. His thinking was to apply to that unit as most people may not know it exists. I found a site called DYI Hunting Maps they give draw odds and success rates. Unit 101 is not on the DYI site but is on the fish and game site.

Only a quota of 100 tags for that new unit. Looks like a ton of accessible land though. You may get lucky. Only a couple of hours left to figure it out.

Doe tags don't use points. But if the demand is high in a unit it will run out of tags before the demand is met.
To check for your draw odds on anything in Wyoming, go to (demand reports) and look for the quota numbers verses the first choice applicants. Some antelope units have leftovers and can then be drawn in the leftover tag drawing this summer. Any tags that are left after that draw go on sale as first come basis.
Look hard at antelope units 22 and 23. Plenty of BLM to hunt, but it is not super easy access or many large bucks.

I plan on getting a leftover tag in 22 and hunting the first few days of rifle season this fall.
Hopefully this helps. Better hurry up!
Good luck.

Assuming there are leftovers, there will be a drawing this year instead of a first come, first served chance. I gotta assume the odds will be tough as a lot of people will be looking for an extra tag.

Yes that is true Cking13. I actually thought the draw was over and was calling Game and Fish to see if they have OTC Tags. I will apply by the midnight deadline. If i'm able to draw a tag and hunt i will be better for it. If anyone recommends a unit let me know i will put in for it and post pic's in sept.
Thanks so much for all the help guys.

The winter kill was extremely bad in the western side of the state this year. keep that in mind for 101. Plenty of units in the central and eastern part of the state where you can get a buck tag with zero points. Im going for the first time this year too, and everyone says the hunts are harder but doable.

People who have good leftover units probably aren't going to want to put them out on the web for all the world to see as they won't be leftover units for long. I've done leftover tags in the past but there's no way I'm risking it this year. In addition, more pressure on these units with limited access will lead to more crowding and a diminished hunt quality. Choose your units wisely and if you find a sleeper and want to hunt it often, I'd keep it on the down low!

Yea your right NoWiser I'm not use to being a newbie. I have guys trying to get my grouper holes all the time. I live in Tallahassee and have been fishing our coast all my life. I'm looking for new challenges. I appreciate the advice.

Tic toc...tic toc...
Times awasten.
People with no points and waiting till last hours on last day can only hope for so much.
I do hope you have a good hunt. But, if a person wants to hunt on quality land for quality game, and not see any other hunters...
Might want to buy and bank a few points and or go guided on private.
Otherwise we with no points must make do with what we can and try to be happy with the chance to hunt where we can.
There are no secret spots left in the world.

The internet and TV hunting shows and magazine hoopla has seen to that.
Still can have a good enjoyable hunt if we are willing to put in some effort and sometimes, patience.
Happy hunting!

Well It's a done deal. I put in for unit 101,20 and 113 in that order. We will just have to see what happens. Thank for all the advice guys. I will let you know how it turns out.

Good thing I read this didn't realize it was the last day to put in. Nothing like waiting to the last minute in Montana and Wyoming

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back