Wyoming Antelope with Wife - Unit 103 vs 18

Northernlilywhite

Hi Guys,
So I am heading out west for speedgoats this fall... with my wife. She is a new shooter, new hunter, but fairly game for anything. I have one point and she has none and we are looking to apply where I have a good chance of drawing a buck tag and then she and I can both buy OTC doe tags. Its basically a 3 day hunt for meat and fun, then off to Yellowstone for 3 days.

Right now I have narrowed it down to Unit 103 and Unit 18 for potential first choice units, as they have very good odds with one point and some decent public land access.

Do you guys have strong feelings either way on these units or any other suggestions?

Deadline is tomorrow so quick responses would be awesome.

Thanks
Northern

No OTC doe tags, you'll have to apply for them. Don't forget to check the withdrawl box if you want to, that way no doe tags if no any antelope tag is drawn.
Yellowstone is a pretty cool place in the fall, elk bugling everywhere.

Definitely apply for your doe tags, there are no OTC tags and leftovers will be slim pickings.

Thanks guys, I will make sure to apply for the doe tags at the same time then. Any thoughts on 18 vs 103 or any other 1 pt buck units where we are likely to score doe tags also.

Don't be afraid to apply for doe tags in an adjacent unit, there may be more tags offered adjacent to your 1 pt buck area, or an area along your travel route with good access. Doe tags are all non PP drawings so everyone has the same draw odds.
Don't know either area personally but 18 has no doe tags and 103 does.
103 has many more tags for both which says something about the population and more hunters.
You could go with 17 for your doe tags and hunt 18 for bucks.
Avoid opening week and try to plan for a weekday hunt trip, weekends bring out the locals.

I hunted 18 last year. I saw some nice bucks but the vast majority were on private land. The population according to the biologist was way down, that's why the doe tags were eliminated. The grasslands didn't have many antelope at all. The majority of the huntable antelope were on the state and blm to the north. I also had a leftover tag in unit 22. It has a * for difficult public access, but it was a much better hunt. I saw more antelope in 2 days in the leftover unit than I did in 4 days in unit 18.

In short I have no experience in 103 but I wouldn't recommend unit 18. I won't be hunting it again, not for antelope at least, deer might be a different story.

I don't know about 103 but public land in 18 will be tough right now. I'd pray for a few more mild winters before I attempted pronghorn in 18 again.

I'll pretty much echo what Alabama said about 18.

Thanks for the replies guys. based on your feedback I applied for a doe tag for my wife and a doe and buck tag for myself. I have 1 pt and last year that was 100% draw for 1pts so hopefully the 15th of June will bring good news. Thanks again.

This is just great... I applied for 18... just my luck. I'm not looking for trophy class, just a buck period. Is that possible in this unit? I have a doe antelope I shot with a bow a few years ago and would just be fine to add a decent buck.

Back