Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 25 Review

Beartooth83

This weekend I was able to take this pack for a walk in my favorite mountains. First off, I've been waiting a long time for a pack like this. I like the durability of MR packs, but they've never offered a dedicated daypack like this in the hunting/scouting line. I almost ordered one in their mountain line, but I'm glad I didn't. I really wanted the cordura material for it's durability factor.

I loaded it up with daily essentials and spin fishing gear. It carried very nicely, like the larger packs do. I adjusted the torso length slightly, which adjusts the same way as their other packs with the telescoping yokes. The hip belt is nice with built in zippered pockets. I was a little worried that the belt wings would be too stiff to fold in flat (for airline travel & shoving under the seat in front of you), but they do fold down nicely. However, they are plenty stout enough to carry a heavier load on your hips. There are two top organization pockets for small items that you want quick access to. There is another zippered pocket on the mid section inside the pack. There are also 2 long sleeves on each side of the pack interior and a hydro bladder sleeve. There is a stretch stash pouch on the outside of the pack, which I used for my light puffy. The main compartment can be completely opened up with the "fillet" design. I will note that these zippers do tend to hang up a bit if you don't pull the zipper line straight. This isn't a big deal, but something that could be improved on. The side stretch pockets are perfect size for a 32oz nalgene bottle. I think they would hold a spotting scope just fine too with the use of the compression straps. I probably wouldn't use this pack to haul much meat, as it just doesn't have the volume.

You'll note that I modified the compression straps a bit. As it's sold, there are (2) compression straps (no buckles) on each side that only compress the sides of the pack. I added tension lock buckles (male one side, female on the other) on these straps. This allows you to use the compression straps across the whole pack instead of just the sides. This will also aid in strapping extra gear to the outside of the pack. I also added open ended buckles to the tab loops so you can still compress the sides only if so desired. This was really easy to do and works well.

The other thing I'd add to this pack would be 2 bottom compression strap (with buckles) to allow you to carry a small shelter or sleep system on the bottom. I may have a couple tab loops sewed on to make this happen. If I do this, I'll post pics.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it so far. I hope these pictures help. Sometimes it's hard to tell how a pack looks/works in the real world with only "showroom" photos on the website. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Attachments

• 20170528_121332.jpg
    20170528_121332.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 5,772
  • 20170528_121339.jpg
    20170528_121339.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 5,511
  • 20170528_121346.jpg
    20170528_121346.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 4,561
  • 20170528_121352.jpg
    20170528_121352.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 5,948
  • 20170528_121526.jpg
    20170528_121526.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 4,604
  • 20170528_121642.jpg
    20170528_121642.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 4,315
  • 20170528_122444.jpg
    20170528_122444.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 5,544
  • 20170528_122619.jpg
    20170528_122619.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 4,303
  • 20170528_125033.jpg
    20170528_125033.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 4,222
  • 20170528_152703.jpg
    20170528_152703.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 4,346
This weekend I was able to take this pack for a walk in my favorite mountains. First off, I've been waiting a long time for a pack like this. I like the durability of MR packs, but they've never offered a dedicated daypack like this in the hunting/scouting line. I almost ordered one in their mountain line, but I'm glad I didn't. I really wanted the cordura material for it's durability factor.

I loaded it up with daily essentials and spin fishing gear. It carried very nicely, like the larger packs do. I adjusted the torso length slightly, which adjusts the same way as their other packs with the telescoping yokes. The hip belt is nice with built in zippered pockets. I was a little worried that the belt wings would be too stiff to fold in flat (for airline travel & shoving under the seat in front of you), but they do fold down nicely. However, they are plenty stout enough to carry a heavier load on your hips. There are two top organization pockets for small items that you want quick access to. There is another zippered pocket on the mid section inside the pack. There are also 2 long sleeves on each side of the pack interior and a hydro bladder sleeve. There is a stretch stash pouch on the outside of the pack, which I used for my light puffy. The main compartment can be completely opened up with the "fillet" design. I will note that these zippers do tend to hang up a bit if you don't pull the zipper line straight. This isn't a big deal, but something that could be improved on. The side stretch pockets are perfect size for a 32oz nalgene bottle. I think they would hold a spotting scope just fine too with the use of the compression straps. I probably wouldn't use this pack to haul much meat, as it just doesn't have the volume.

You'll note that I modified the compression straps a bit. As it's sold, there are (2) compression straps (no buckles) on each side that only compress the sides of the pack. I added tension lock buckles (male one side, female on the other) on these straps. This allows you to use the compression straps across the whole pack instead of just the sides. This will also aid in strapping extra gear to the outside of the pack. I also added open ended buckles to the tab loops so you can still compress the sides only if so desired. This was really easy to do and works well.

The other thing I'd add to this pack would be 2 bottom compression strap (with buckles) to allow you to carry a small shelter or sleep system on the bottom. I may have a couple tab loops sewed on to make this happen. If I do this, I'll post pics.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it so far. I hope these pictures help. Sometimes it's hard to tell how a pack looks/works in the real world with only "showroom" photos on the website. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Thanks for the review and photos.
Does the belt fold away like the 3DAP?

Bone in, I'm going to say probably not due to the way it tapers at the bottom of the pack. I like the idea of hunting with this thing cause it's so comfortable and light, but I'll still probably use my larger pack just to have the means to haul a docent amount of meat.

Curious to know how it's holding up.
Found any interesting modifications if any.
Curious if $150 seems right for a used one at local listing.

Thanks

I used this pack last year. I hauled out 4 elk with it between archery and rifle. I don't like using a load hauler while backpack hunting as it seems a little clunky and heavy. I put Pack Out Bags inside my Scapegoat while hunting. I wear my Scapegoat and then put the Pack Out Bags on after harvesting. I stay balanced and can carry more weight than if I just put it all on my back. With Pack Out Bags I'm able to carry bone in front quarters, Backstraps and Tenders for miles. I was thinking about what to do as far as attaching a bow to the pack and attaching those buckles is a great addition. I'll be making that mod this spring.

Pack 1.jpgPack 2.jpgPack 3.jpgPack 4.jpg

Just got these today, they work perfect!

Attachments

• MR Pack2.jpg
    MR Pack2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 14
  • MR Pack.jpg
    MR Pack.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 13
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members