what pound winch your truck

I have a Warn 10k on my Jeep. It is a holdover from the F350 I had previously and maybe a bit of overkill but better too much than not enough!!

Attachments

• Jeep winch install.jpg
    Jeep winch install.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 421
Take 80% of your GVW when loaded for the trail and multiple by 2.

So for a 10,000lb rig you go 10,000 x .8 = 8,000 x 2 = #16,000 winch.

I have a 4500# Jeep and have a warn m8000 but I carry a snatch block so I potentially have 16,000lbs of pulling power for when I need to move a lot of earth from around my axles.

I have a 12K winch. Remember that a winch rating is with a full spool. You lose quite a bit per layer but I don't recall the amount. And of course you can always double the pulling power of the winch by using an additional strap and shackle and anchor back at the truck.

I have a 12K winch. Remember that a winch rating is with a full spool. You lose quite a bit per layer but I don't recall the amount. And of course you can always double the pulling power of the winch by using an additional strap and shackle and anchor back at the truck.

I think you meant the winch is rated with an empty spool. The winch looses it's mechanical advantage as the spool gets larger with more wraps.
For example an 8,000lb winch would be as follows
Layer 1 – 8000lbs. (Empty spool)
Layer 2 – 6777lbs.
Layer 3 – 5878lbs.
Layer 4 – 5189lbs. (Full spool)
That’s a loss of about 15% capacity per layer.

I have a warn 9000 lb I share between 3 trucks,,reciver hitch style,so I can use it on the back too,,wish it was a 12000 lb but it has always got me out of a bind,even on my dodge cummins,{heavy}

I've heard similar formulas of what elk magnet mentioned. I've been told anywhere from 1.5x the weight of the vehicle to 1.8.

If you've got a 5000 lb truck then you'll want at least a 7500lb winch. More is better, but it does reach a point of overkill.

If you don't know the weight of your truck you can go to a scale and find out or look up the dry weight of your vehicle. That includes fluids, a full tank of gas a a 150lb driver. If you weigh more add weight, add the weight of your payload while hunting and you will get in the ballpark of the weight of your truck. DOn't forget the weights of any additional bumpers and the winch itself.

As far as brands I'd recommend buying a Warn or Ramsey.
What ever you buy make sure it has a series wound motor.

Think about it you are going to buy an electric motor and electric solenoid's to mount on the front of your vehicle. It's going to be there in rain, snow, covered in mud then pressure washed off, submersed in Creeks. It's going to sit there with no use for months or years until one day you screw up and need it.
Buy one that will still work when you need it.

I use a 15,000# Mile Marker on my 2500hd. Loaded up with the camper & everything for a week plus hunting trip the rig weighs in about 11,000#. I've had mile marker winches on 2 trucks for 15 years and have never had a problem, they just work.IMG_0184.jpg

Back