Dad/daughter trip in Montana

DIY

Just finished putting in apps for my daughter (14yo) and I for Montana antelope tags. First choice region 7, second choice unit 540. Only about 25% odds of pulling the 700 tag with no points as a nonresident. It looks like 540 had leftover tags every year, also looks like not a lot of public in that area. My daughter is into volleyball and the week I have planned is going to land right at the end of her v-ball season. I asked her if she would still want to go if it made her miss a game or two, no hesitation..."heck yeah dad." Super stoked to spend a week hunting with her!

So, a question for those who know more than me...Does a second choice in a unit that never sells out get you a guaranteed tag? Or is it still luck of the draw?

A second choice in a unit that never sells out won't give you a guarantee, but it does give you another chance. I'm responding to this after the antelope drawing, but am curious. Did you and your daughter get drawn. If so, I might be able to help from this point on.

Nope, unfortunately we did not. I'll be curious to see the detailed drawing stats when they come out. There must have been an increase in apps for this year. I checked for previous years and the 10% threshold for nr's was not met. Luck of the draw I guess...

Oh, I should mention that now her thought is that I should bring her elk hunting since i did draw my combo and she can get the youth tag to come with. Not sure what to do now.

Don't get me wrong here, I would love to take her with. But this will be my first elk hunt. I don't know what I'm doing and probably won't tag an elk. I just want to get my feet wet in the elk game and try to learn something to make it better the next time i go. I don't know if I want that experience to be her first elk hunt...

Take her with you. The time spent together is more important than whether you get an Elk or not. Take advantage of this year because there is no guarantee there will be a next year.
Dan

Take her with you. The time spent together is more important than whether you get an Elk or not. Take advantage of this year because there is no guarantee there will be a next year.
Dan

This right here. A very wise man once told me, when it comes to parenting, the days drag, but the years fly. As frustrating as it is sometimes to hunt with my boys it's time together, in the field, with no damn tablets or phones. And it. Is. Awesome!

Dan

Absolutely true. Two quick personal stories. When my oldest daughter was 10 we took a trip to DC together. The flight was delay, there was a screwup in hotels, the lines were so long we only saw half of what I wanted to. I came home feeling the trip was a bust. My daughter gave me a big hug and said "best trip ever". Many years later she still speaks fondly of the trip. I realized while a "good trip" to me meant things going as planned, but to a kid it meant spending time with dad in an interesting place.

In the second case, years later, I was about to take my dad on a fly-in fishing trip. He had brought me fishing, camping, hiking and canoeing all over NW Ontario as a kid. Was going to be a nice chance to return the favor, but we had plenty of time, he was fit as a fiddle. Life was busy, small kids, crazy work I was just about to take a rain check and plan for another time. My then 4 yr old son happened to coincidentally ask me, "who taught you so much about fishing". As soon as I replied, "your grandpa" I knew I would not cancel. Six weeks after returning from this great trip my father had a near death medical moment that left him largely blind and in a wheelchair for life.

Life has taught me - being PRESENT for those you love is our most important task, and never take tomorrow for granted.

If the young lady can hunt hard, why not take her along? Nothing like learning something new together.

Absolutely true. Two quick personal stories. When my oldest daughter was 10 we took a trip to DC together. The flight was delay, there was a screwup in hotels, the lines were so long we only saw half of what I wanted to. I came home feeling the trip was a bust. My daughter gave me a big hug and said "best trip ever". Many years later she still speaks fondly of the trip. I realized while a "good trip" to me meant things going as planned, but to a kid it meant spending time with dad in an interesting place.

In the second case, years later, I was about to take my dad on a fly-in fishing trip. He had brought me fishing, camping, hiking and canoeing all over NW Ontario as a kid. Was going to be a nice chance to return the favor, but we had plenty of time, he was fit as a fiddle. Life was busy, small kids, crazy work I was just about to take a rain check and plan for another time. My then 4 yr old son happened to coincidentally ask me, "who taught you so much about fishing". As soon as I replied, "your grandpa" I knew I would not cancel. Six weeks after returning from this great trip my father had a near death medical moment that left him largely blind and in a wheelchair for life.

Life has taught me - being PRESENT for those you love is our most important task, and never take tomorrow for granted

My screen got a little blurry. Excellent point!

Life has taught me - being PRESENT for those you love is our most important task, and never take tomorrow for granted.

Well said.....kids don't have the same expectations as we do.....and they are better off for it!

Bring her. I would give anything to be able to bring my daughter with me any place. We buried her last November, so trust me, spend all the time you can with your daughter right now! BTW, let me know if you get drawn for HD 700 next year, as I have some pretty good connections out there. Will be leaving on Friday for this year's hunt.

If Viking guys post doesn't change your mind,then I have no idea what it would take.Take your daughter with you!!!

Bring her, and if you end up in SW MT let me know.. I will point you where there might be a elk or two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back