Hogs and Sheep on Maui

BangUSMC

Has anyone hunted hogs/Feral sheep in Hawaii more specifically Maui. I'll be headed there this year, trying to pick the minds of Hunt Talks brightest minds. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'll be hunting with the old stick and string if that makes any difference.

Andrew McKean of OL just took his daughter out there a couple of weeks ago. You could contact him, I'm sure he would know who to talk to out there.

Personally, I would opt for the Vancouver bulls. Feral since the late 1700s, mean and ready to charge (from what I read and hear). Not like the domestic bulls anymore, they are leggy and lean. I want to say they were about $1-2K for the hunt.

Thanks 406, appreciate the insight and help. Don't know If I can do the bulls but I'm going to keep it in mind.

Just curious as to any insights on the public land there

dlnr.hawaii.gov/dofaw/files/2013/09/HAR-123-Game-Mammals.pdf

Pages 57 through 61 in the link above describe public hunting opportunities including maps on Maui. I have no actual knowledge of the individual units though.

Thanks Alwayshunting, I was just reading that. Curious as to see if anyone has had "boots on the ground" on the units in Maui.

I've done the Big Island, Oahu, Molokai, and Lanai....Maui no. I can tell you this, each island is a bit different, not by much, but different. It's cheap to island hop so decide on what you want to hunt, some islands are Way better than others, but access may be more difficult. PM if you like, I've been twice. You really should look at Axis Deer.

Look for Kamehameha School. There is game everywhere around and on that campus. Those drainages hold lots of deer as well. A lot!

Look for Kamehameha School. There is game everywhere around and on that campus. Those drainages hold lots of deer as well. A lot!

LandDiver, is that public land you can hunt on there? I don't have any contacts on any of the islands so at this point I'll be doing all on public land.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back