325 WSM worth the money.

35whelen

I love my lever guns. Recently searching for a .338 bolt gun i came across a Browning BLR chambered in 325 WSM. I only found little info on the cartridge

Does the caliber have edge over what I already have. (35 Rem, 32 Win Spcl, 348 Win,358 Win)

I have one and love it. It has trajectory similar to a 300 WSM with energy closer to a .338 win mag. The down side is factory ammo can be tough to find and expensive with not a lot of options. Mine really likes the 200 gr Accubond and I was lucky to stock up on some of the Nosler Trophy Grade I found on sale at Cabela's. I'm sure you probably know this but it shoots an 8mm bullet, so there are a lot of options if you reload. Mine is a Kimber Montana and I use it as my backcountry elk rifle. Its nice and light and weather resistant. I would buy it again. I'm not really familiar with the ballistics of your other cartridges but I would imagine the 325 WSM might have better trajectory. One thing you might want to research is how the WSM's feed in a lever action. It might be fine I just don't know with the steep shoulder.

I went through this question just a little while back.... I ended up with 300wsm because of factory ammo and reloading components available. I'm sure it's a great cartridge.

The 325 wsm is a nice cartridge with lots of potential. Not a popular caliber and ammo is pricey. I have 2 friends that own rifles in that caliber and love it, plus neither one minds paying for the ammo. Recoil isn't bad from what I remember when I shot one. Good luck.

I have run a .325WSM since 2006. On the second one at this point. The first rifle and I didn't get along that well... It has been an absolute Game hammer for me. I have been running 200Gr NAB's over H4350. Sub 1/2MOA accuracy out of a Winchester m70Sporter and velocities somewhere right around 2850. I will say, from a trajectory standpoint, either a .300WSM or a .338WM will shoot a bit flatter than a .325. The BC's on the 8mm slugs are lower than they ought to be (IMHO). All in All, It's one of the harder hitting short action cartridges out there, and I've used it for everything from Prairie dogs to Moose. It does the job nicely!!

Does the caliber have edge over what I already have. (35 Rem, 32 Win Spcl, 348 Win,358 Win)

Yes, a couple steps up from the first 3 and at least a step above the 358, mostly due to range/energy out past 200yds. I've had 2, still have one and have shot a fair number of animals with them. Both were very easy to load for and get to shoot.

Is it any better than a anything else in its class (30-06 to 338wm)? No. Different strokes for different folks...

I love my BLR in 270wsm. No feeding problems once I tweaked one of my mags., the other one works great. One can never have too many lever guns, we are sitting pretty with 9 of them in the safe, all are hunters and good shooters.

I have a Browning A Bolt in 325 WSM and I absolutely love it, great elk and mule deer killer here in Colorado. Again, the downfall is ammo availability, the only factory ammo I've come across is the Nosler Trophy Grade in 200 grain which I snag every time I see it. I ended up purchasing a reloading set so I could develop my own loads since there's a ton of 8mm bullets and 325 casing available online through Brownells, Midway, etc... If you reload or have a friend that does, I'd say go for it.

If you like lever guns, then go for it.

Is it worth the money? No, probably not on a purely financial basis. Lots of other rounds will do similar work, for less money and headache trying to locate ammo.

Mine is a Kimber Montana. Makes for a great elk rifle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back