MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Help me find a unit....

lifesupport4u

I am fairly new to CO and have hunted elk in only 2 units (one year hunted a C tag). Mostly I have joined a friend in his area.

I am trying to find a new unit. Prefer units I can draw with 0 points. This year I will need a leftover license or OTC unit.

The big thing is the area I have been to is so overgrown. I can't glass because the brush is so dense and there are very few open areas.

Looking for some help to find an OTC or leftover unit where I can glass and do spot and stock elk hunting. Will some folks help me out or PM to suggest units that look more like where Randy hunts as far as vegetation and topography?

Have you thought of going out and scouting different units? Do you live in Colorado? Where? You have until the middle of Oct before you have to buy n OTC tag. Lots of time to find a unit.

Leftover is different and you can't plan anything until you see the list of what's available. Then you have to be lucky to grab the leftover tag before others get it.

Lifesupport4u,

Man you are asking a very difficult question. It takes time and lots of research to find a good OTC unit. You will get more replies if you provide more information like: OTC Archery or Rifle? Which units you have hunted before? That way maybe someone can trade you info for info, Do you live in CO and Where?, Are you planning on doing a Solo hunt or with a bunch of people?, Private or Public?

One way that you can begin finding potential units could be by comparing the Harvested Numbers from the 2016 report. The CWP web site has those numbers for you. Compare the numbers of hunters and the harvested animals for units. If that’s too much for you, just take the easy way. Buy an OTC bull tag for GMU 55, Gunisson, Colorado. Randy has several episodes hunting that unit for Elk and Mule deer.

GMU55.jpg

V/R,
ColoradoHunter719

Ishootasmallones,

Not sure why. For me and my 2 other hunting buddies, during the last 3 years, we have received calls after the season, asking us for information. You can also complete the survey online which in returns creates a better product for us hunters to use.

V/R,
ColoradoHunter719

RE: Help me find a unit

If your asked to complete the survey, but in the last 5 years of hunting I have never been asked. Their data pool is a random sample of hunters which, theoretically, should provide an approximate estimation of harvest, but is by no means gold. Here is some more information for you:

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/BigGameHarvestSurvey.aspx

http://www.colobgharvest.com/faq/

Ishootasmallones,

Thanks for the information man. You are right, now I know that NOT every hunter gets contacted. I guess we are lucky that we were. Yep you are right, this Harvested reports should not be look upon “Gold” but for sure its another tool in order to conduct in-depth research into potential areas to hunt or apply for.

V/R,
ColoradoHunter719

Ishootasmallones,

Thanks for the information man. You are right, now I know that NOT every hunter gets contacted. I guess we are lucky that we were. Yep you are right, this Harvested reports should not be look upon “Gold” but for sure its another tool in order to conduct in-depth research into potential areas to hunt or apply for.

V/R,
ColoradoHunter719

Not to Hijack, but It would be nice if we went to the New Mexico model where, if you hold a tag, you NEED to complete a harvest survey before you can get another tag the next year. I realize logistically this would be a huge challenge given the number of tags issued here in CO, but would certainly help the integrity of the data.

I've been surveyed sporadically over the years - maybe every 2 years on average.

Back