Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Decoy - is it worth it?

TheWanderer

I expect I will be solo packing 3ish miles in to elk hunt this year. How many other people use a decoy? Think its worth packing in when I'm carrying all the other gear for my week myself?

I can rationalize it as A. Its just extra weight and should stay home or B. I'm by myself and don't have a caller/hunter set-up. I should have it to distract a bull from my calling location as he comes in.

Thanks.

Rifle, muzzle or archery? If archery, yes, as is common for a bull to hang up out of range as looks for the source of the calling. The decoy could be a difference maker.

Otherwise, no.

When archery hunting I always carry it in my pack. I set it up maybe half the time sometimes I think it really helps I have had elk lock onto it and other times they seem to ignore it but over all I think should take one. We use the montana decoy folds flat and fairly light weight.

Corey Jacobson had an article in Western Hunter magazine saying a definitive "yes". I thought the article made sense to an eastern turkey hunter as I feel like in the rut you are just hunting 800lb turkeys...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back