Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Arizona 7e Late Season Bull Rifle hunt (Dec1-7)

Woody7051

A buddy and I both got drawn for the hunt and it will be our first elk hunt. I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone has had experience hunting this unit in the late season and if you have any advice (scouting areas, camping areas, etc).

Search through the forums. There's a plethora of information on here. Narrow down your questions to more specifics and generally that's when folks will be of the most help. Good luck!

A lot depends on the weather. If you have a lot of snow the elk will move to the north and east in the unit. You can camp anywhere on the Coconino National Forest. By December, the bulls will become almost nocturnal. You will about have to bust them out of cover. I've had luck finding them up on top of the cinder cones on the CO Bar ranch. This is a Babbitt property and there is no access issue. Its a tough hunt. You'll see antelope, deer, bears and if you get lucky....elk. GJ

Woody, you from Arizona? As stated above a lot depends on weather. Plenty of camping spots, the late season hunt is kind of a zoo. Lots of hunters pushing elk around, and chasing elk. You can hunt and find elk during that season anywhere from the flats to the pines on the mountains. Its a cold usually snowy hunt.

The Babbitt family has several different ranches in No. AZ. In this unit it extends from the Coconino Nat. Forest boundary to the north and east to the Navajo Reservation. It surrounds Wupatki Nat. Monument. To the west it includes everything from the FS to the unit boundary and beyond. You will see signs at each entrance gate. GJ

Also I will try on border with unit around the powerlines, always seen elk around there late in the year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back