Nevada Elk Adventure Begins

worm

I grew up in south western Wyoming until I was 17. In the middle of my junior year of high school my father and I moved to south central Missouri. I never was able to tag a bull elk while I lived in Wyoming. In 2009 I relocated my family (myself, wife and daughter) to Elko Nevda. I spent seven years in Elko. My wife was fortunate enough to draw her bull tag but my daughter and I wasn't. I again attempted to relocated my family to central Colorado last year. My daughter decided to stay in Elko so my wife and I moved starting our empty nesting days. I'm 44 years old and this year the Nevada Big game gods shined down on my family. My daughter and I both drew out Nevada bull tags. Not only are we fortunate enough to both draw but lucked into separate seasons. 072 Muzzle loader for my daughter and 108 Rifle for me. One of the coolest things that I learned while living in Nevada is..Is not about the tag that you draw, it's about the one or two tags that your friends draw. My phone and email has been going crazy since Friday night from my friends not only congratulating me but also offering whatever help I need for the hunts. Friday night the adventure began. I look forward to the countless hours on Google Earth, OnXmaps, making gear lists, working out and saving money for these two hunts. Good luck to all of those that drew their dream tags this year. Jarbidge Wilderness we will see you in September. Hunbolt National Forest we will see you in November.

congrats.I just can't talk myself into entering draws in Nevada at my age..Not sure I'd ever draw
I can't wait to see the elk you and your daughter take

If memory serves, your daughter drew in the Jarbidge Wilderness. I hunted mule deer there years ago. What an awesome place. Do you have access to horses?

Congrats to you both! The almighty Jarbidge is a beast, but anyone with some sturdy boots and a clear mind, can conquer her and come out with some seriously heavy packs! :)

Congrats on those tags! Unit 072 contains everything from sage flats on the southern and eastern sides to black timber covered almost vertical country, it is awesome. Your family will have a blast hunting there.
Best of luck on your hunts.

Congrats to the both of you! Hope to see the pics and here the stories after both successful hunts.

Being a new to the game guy from back East I understand how important it is to have good friends that hunt out this way. That's why I appreciate a lot of the guys on here.

Congrats on the tag - I hunted it last year early and late with family and it is probably one of my favorite parts of Nevada now! I scouted it twice last year and hunted it twice and decided to go back there every year just to camp if I don't have a tag. I did draw a early season tag though so looks like I will be scouting again soon. Best of luck to you!

Congrats! A pard hunted one of the Jarbidge units a few years ago. Said it was possibly he's most fun elk hunt to date. Other than running into one outfitter, he was back far enough that he the place to himself. Came home with a very good bull. Said it was hard to find one that wasn't all busted up from fighting.

Congrats! A pard hunted one of the Jarbidge units a few years ago. Said it was possibly he's most fun elk hunt to date. Other than running into one outfitter, he was back far enough that he the place to himself. Came home with a very good bull. Said it was hard to find one that wasn't all busted up from fighting.

Finding a good bull that isn't broken can be a problem because NV has a pretty high bull/cow ratio. I guess that's a good problem to have.

Jarbidge is amazing. I have hunted there a couple of times and we go back just to camp in the summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back