Best boot dressing

Bambistew

I'm in a never ending search for the best water-proofer and have yet to find it. None I've tried will last more than a day before they are worn off. Having to rely on GoreTex is as good as it gets.

The best I've found is the "snowseal" or what ever the brand is now. Apply 3-4 coats and if its fairly cold out, it will last a long time. If its warm, not so much.

I've tried probably 20 different brands and types. I feel the only thing I'm really doing is conditioning the leather and nothing more.

Anyone have any better luck?

I think Mink oil is the best I've tried. Either Walters or Red Wing has some good ones I've used Obenhaufs and Kenetreks with luck. I will admits that I'm not relying on the waterproofer to be just that. I feel like I am as well just conditioning the leather. The waterproof membrane should be what keeps your feet dry. There's way too much stitching and other holes and flex points that allow moisture in to expect the waterproofer to fix the problem.
It infuriates me that we spend $400+ dollars on these boots and the membrane leaks after 1 season. There's nothing worse than wet feet for days when you're out. I have a pair of Crispi's that I've used for 2 seasons now for snow removal and mowing in the spring rain. They have not even shown a bit of signs of leaking. I have other Name brand boots (expensive) that I've returned 3 times on 3 different pairs after just 1 season because they leaked.

I just read up on a trick a guy uses. He said he buys one of those wax toilet rings from a Hardware store. Warms the boots and the wax up and applies. He says it lasts weeks and when it wears off he just reapplies. Says it's as good as anything he's tried. Just thought I'd throw that in the mix for craziness.

Last edited:
Used everything from mink oil to snoseal & beyond.
I found using the manufacturer recommended boot treatments before just using whatever these days.
Heard that Obenouf's will eat the glue on some boots like my Tibets. So I will use nixwax that they recommend,tho I don't really like their products.Stuff does not last long at all. But most multi-material (nylon,suede,etc) recommend this type these days. Like water-proofing a tennis shoe if you ask me......
Used Snoseal on many pairs of Lowas before.
I've used Danner boot dressing on the same 2 pairs of Danners for 20 yrs.
Some boot oils & dressing also soften them up too much,like Hubbbards & Mink oil.
I use Obenaufs on my pack boots.
I bet I have 15 brands in the boot/shoe box........lol.

I use the Danner "Waterproofing Boot Care" for my Pronghorns and Radical GTX, and the Kenetrek "Waterproofing Boot Wax" on my Mountain Extremes. Both work as advertised. I apply several times a year.

I don't think it's possibe to actually "waterproof" leather boots. Leather is naturally porous so while we can make it water resistant for a while it will eventually get wet.

Gr8bawana I agree. I think the waxes and oils might prevent the leather from absorbing some water, but it probably does more to preserve the leather. What really makes the boot waterproof is the Gore-Tex or other membrane that prevents water from getting to the foot. If something breaks the membrane or the edges (seams) allow water to get to the foot, the leather isn't the blame.

I'm in a never ending search for the best water-proofer and have yet to find it. None I've tried will last more than a day before they are worn off. Having to rely on GoreTex is as good as it gets.

The best I've found is the "snowseal" or what ever the brand is now. Apply 3-4 coats and if its fairly cold out, it will last a long time. If its warm, not so much.

I've tried probably 20 different brands and types. I feel the only thing I'm really doing is conditioning the leather and nothing more.

Anyone have any better luck?

I've been using Granger's Paste Wax. So far, I've been very pleased. I use them on my Lowa boots and have yet to come back with wet feet.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back