PEAX Equipment

Big Fin in PA hunting Elk???

std7mag

So with June a few days off, the new PA hunting licenses come out, and it's time to enter the Elk lottery again.

Was just wondering what the chances of Big Fin coming to PA for an elk hunt were.. :D

If I get drawn, the invite is definitely out there!!

Can't see how that hunt would interest many viewers.I don't even enter for elk here.The only hard part about taking an elk in Pa is drawing the tag

Yeah Randy! It's like $14 upfront for a 1 in 30,000 chance, but it would be an Awesome Video ! You, me & std7mag all going in cut our chances down to 1 in 10,000! We're Golden!

In some cases, elk are being released onto large tracts of forest land or reclaimed coal strip-mined areas. I would watch that as an episode but minimal interest if is more like a Texas corn-feeder deal from a tripod stand. Anyone on here hunted one of the Eastern states for free-range elk? MO and AR have released elk and will have seasons in the future so the future of elk is bright indeed.

To call the hunt there a hunt is a stretch to say the least, to film it and show it in all its splendor??? I can show you whole herds of cattle that the tamest one is wilder than those monster bulls... they are big antlered though tis fact. Best seen by few as possible.

To call the hunt there a hunt is a stretch to say the least, to film it and show it in all its splendor??? I can show you whole herds of cattle that the tamest one is wilder than those monster bulls... they are big antlered though tis fact. Best seen by few as possible.

Totally disagree from experience.
Certain areas u can draw the elk are not like the elk people see in town at Benezette. They vanished and u can hunt all day long for miles and miles and not see an elk.
But tons of experts that know everything

Well, from my experience hunting deer there, while the elk hunt is on, they do seem to disappear. I see them all the time during early deer archery season. Once elk season starts, early November, I usually don't see any till first day of deer rifle, when they are pushed about.

We could make it interesting, and do archery...
Elk season only 1 week long, allowed 27cal, and up rifle, black powder, bow(45lb min draw weight), cross bow...
Only issue is that during that week, if you are elk hunting you must wear orange.

That's a gripe I have in Colorado. I use primitive muzzleloaders to hunt elk. Actually, everything I hunt is the same. I use real black powder, round ball, and primitive sights. My range it no farther than bow range. Our muzzleloader season is right in the middle of bow season. So, we're out there together hunting elk. How come the bow hunters don't have to wear blaze orange and I do?

squirrel, I agree with you 100%.The fact that kill rate on bulls is 100% and most years on bulls over 400" pretty much says it all.Look over a bunch of bulls till you find a huge one.To me it's more like a canned hunt though I'm aware it's free range.I've had people ask me why I go out west to hunt elk when they are here in Pa.Answer is simple,I like to HUNT elk.I don't look down on you guys that are interested in this hunt.It's just not for me.If it would make you happy that's all that matters.Just like I'd never judge a person on the size of any buck or bull they take.I do think it would make a TERRIBLE hunting show though

Totally disagree from experience.
Certain areas u can draw the elk are not like the elk people see in town at Benezette. They vanished and u can hunt all day long for miles and miles and not see an elk.
But tons of experts that know everything

When the story goes that all the "walmart bulls" broke off points so I shot the "Laundromat bull" since he was still whole... and the shot was from in between the painted on stripes of the parking lot... Yep that is what makes for riveting TV for the rugged nimrods. I have nothing against having the hunt but balk at being told I should be in awe of it. Of course the Laundromat Bull went 387" pretty awesome if the tale goes untold, like sausage being made, best unseen.

And I can walk for miles and never see an elk in many locations, it's a gift :)

That's a gripe I have in Colorado. I use primitive muzzleloaders to hunt elk. Actually, everything I hunt is the same. I use real black powder, round ball, and primitive sights. My range it no farther than bow range. Our muzzleloader season is right in the middle of bow season. So, we're out there together hunting elk. How come the bow hunters don't have to wear blaze orange and I do?

How else are we supposed to call in muzzleloader hunters? :hump:

I will say this.
I have hunted Colorado Diy elk every September for 9 seasons. Have killed bulls and cows, not every year.
Is it harder Western hunting elk than Eastern? Yes
Is it hard to hunt elk in one of the wilder units in PA not where they stand and look at you? Yes
Is it even harder to hunt DIY Unguided pattern trophy bulls when you don't live in the area? Yes
Is it hard to pass up 350 in bulls when you know your scouting has shown you there are 400 in bulls there? Yes very hard

It is everyone's cup of tea? No
I am thankful for the opportunity to have a chance to make the hunt as hard of a hunt as I wanted and have a chance at a once in lifetime opportunity.

Good luck to anyone that goes.

I will say this.
I have hunted Colorado Diy elk every September for 9 seasons. Have killed bulls and cows, not every year.
Is it harder Western hunting elk than Eastern? Yes
Is it hard to hunt elk in one of the wilder units in PA not where they stand and look at you? Yes
Is it even harder to hunt DIY Unguided pattern trophy bulls when you don't live in the area? Yes
Is it hard to pass up 350 in bulls when you know your scouting has shown you there are 400 in bulls there? Yes very hard

It is everyone's cup of tea? No
I am thankful for the opportunity to have a chance to make the hunt as hard of a hunt as I wanted and have a chance at a once in lifetime opportunity.

Good luck to anyone that goes.

I don't blame you a bit. If I lived in PA and could get a tag i'd hunt them too. I hunt Colorado because I live here and tags are $49.

Back