Boar or sow?

Oneye

Wondering what you guys think of this bear. Is it a boar or sow? I'm leaning towards sow but this is my first go round so I'm not certain. Also, I ran out of bait in this spot for a couple days and revisited today, but missed this bear by about an hour. Do Bears usually not come back if they hit a dry bait site once? This bear has been in a couple times, but today there was no bait for it.IMG_2721.jpgIMG_2723.jpg

Also, these two photos were from 2 separate occasions, I'm not 100% sure it's the same bear but, I think it is.

Also, here is one more view to go with the second picture which is for sure the same bear, then the second picture is another small bear that visited and doesn't ever seem to want to leave. One of the pics showed for sure he was a small male.

IMG_2724.jpgIMG_2725.jpg

Can't comment on boar, or sow, but all are young bears. The ears are the dead give away. Nice color though.

Hard to tell on young bears but I think he may be a young boar. Yes they will come back even after hitting an empty bait

Ok...being an Iowan and having never seen a bear in the wild...what are some general guidelines to tell boar from sow and age?

Those bears will be back. I belive the thinking on bears not returning to a empty bait site is in places where there are other baits in close proximity. In Utah there just aren't alot of baits in each area so they will return and check it out.
I left a trail camera at a bait site that we killed a bear at last year and the bears came back for weeks with no bait at the site. We rebaited the site a few days ago and bears had been there this week checking it out.

Those bears will be back. I belive the thinking on bears not returning to a empty bait site is in places where there are other baits in close proximity. In Utah there just aren't alot of baits in each area so they will return and check it out.
I left a trail camera at a bait site that we killed a bear at last year and the bears came back for weeks with no bait at the site. We rebaited the site a few days ago and bears had been there this week checking it out.

That's probably true, there are only 7 tags for the unit I'm hunting and that would make only 14 bait sites on the whole unit. At another bait site, there was a little bit larger bear, he hasn't been back for 6 days now. I went and freshened the bait site today and am really hoping he returns.

Have you ever considered stalking them?

Yes I plan on doing some of that too during the hunt. It hasn't started yet, you can bait 2 weeks before the hunt so it will start this Saturday. I'm just allowed 2 bait sites so I'm taking advantage.

Got a different one coming to my other bait site that I'm pretty certain is a boar. Is this a decent bear for anyone who kind of can judge better than I can?IMG_2743.jpg

The hunt starts tomorrow and this is the bear I'm hoping for, it just sucks that the hound hunt ends tonight and today a dog ran through my bait site. How much will it affect the Bears that have been hitting it if they get chased by dogs tonight? Hoping they don't get this bigger one. Just got to make it a few more hours.

Attachments

• IMG_2744.jpg
    IMG_2744.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
That is definitely a better bear and one I would be hunting, big heads make the eyes look small and the ears far apart. Those other two are much younger and smaller. I hope you get him.

Back